Posted on Tuesday, September 30th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 1e53a71c

Company: 1996 Crown Victoria - car overheated - cracked intake manifold - has same engine that is covered under recall - but this car is not covered under recall

# 11 for September 29, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on September 28, 2003:

From:

RE: 1996 Crown Victoria - car overheated - cracked intake manifold - has same engine that is covered under recall - but this car is not covered under recall

Last month our car, a 1996 Crown Victoria began to overheat. We had it towed back to our home thinking it was the water pump. After replacing said pump, the problem was not resolved so we had to have it towed to a repair shop. After several days the shop called us to report the problem with the car. He said he had good news and bad news.

The bad news was that the problem was a cracked intake manifold. A very expensive repair. The good news, however, was that Ford had issued a recall on faulty manifolds back in 1999 for this very problem. We had never received the recall notice, but were glad to hear about it.

The following day, I contacted Ford Motor Company and explained our situation. The first question they asked me was my VIN#, which I provided. They then told me that OUR car was not involved in this "program", so there was nothing they could do for us. I was confused as this was the problem with our car, but I excepted their answer for the moment.

Later the next day, after thinking about our problem further, I remembered that when our car was only a few months old it developed a small oil leak. We took it to the agency several times until they finally discovered the problem. Apparently there was a small defect in the molding of the motor. Since the car was new, rather than fixing the problem, they chose to exchange out the motor for a new motor.

I call Ford Motor Company back with this information. The point was that our VIN may not have matched their "program" cars, but our motor wasn't the same one as was originally installed in the vehicle. Then they told me that the recall program only pertained to police and fleet vehicles. They still refuse to pay for the repair, which by the way came to $1,012.00.

Is there anything you can do to help us with this problem? Cordially

Willa M. Steiner