Posted on Wednesday, September 17th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by d2db70c1

Company: Publisher's Sweepstakes Big Draw - supposedly affiliated with Publisher's Clearing House - upset with telemarketing tactics involving magazine sales - asked to 'verify' VISA number

# 41 for September 16, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on September 15, 2003:

From:

RE: Publisher's Sweepstakes Big Draw - supposedly affiliated with Publisher's Clearing House - upset with telemarketing tactics involving magazine sales - asked to 'verify' VISA number

Publisher's Sweepstakes Big Draw, John Birrell was the telemarketer that I first spoke to then he passed me to his manager. The manager was the one I had the problem with. I did not write his name down. They said they were working with Visa/Mastercard and Publisher's Clearing House. I think the drawing is to be held October 8, 2003 in Atlanta, Ga.

I tried to call the number back to speak to the person I had talked to but could not get through. The # I have is: 877-729-3975. That is what came up when dialing *69.

To whom it may concern,

I was just telephoned to participate in your sweepstakes, out of Las Vegas, $50,000 to be exact, when I had agreed to buy magazines for $2.80 a week. When I would not verify my "visa" #, because I do not give my card # out over the telephone, the person, mananger that I had spoken to turned very rude to me and said he would bill me for $700 and some dollars and then hung up.

I think this was a very poor way of trying to get magazines sold and am thoroughly discusted that our country has come to such tactics! We the people have dreams of winning something which is purely innocent and the scams that company's like yours pull are ashame.

I will never buy anything from the likes of any company or telemarkers again! I think it should be outlawed! I really thought that PCH was a legitimate operation and who would affilliate themselves with such, but I was terribly mistaken!

A very angry would have been magazine subscriber,

Nancy Betterton

Columbia, Pa

9bfa96fc, 2008-09-01, 11:44PM CDT

To whom ever is responsible for distributing the cash prizes. I feel that your company discriminate in certain areas. I have yet to see a winner in the city of Detroit Michigan.

Out of all the years your company has existed, there has not been a winner in the city of Detroit. Why is this and how is this possible?.

af8b465e, 2008-11-18, 10:31AM CST

Same thing happen to me. Never verified my visa and they quickly became rude. DO not feed into it--it's a scam!

99265de0, 2009-06-11, 01:41PM CDT

People, it is NOT Publisher's Clearinghouse!! They are calling themselves "Publisher's Sweepstakes" To confuse people like you guys!

f0ad6f5a, 2009-06-11, 01:41PM CDT

7fb46912, 2009-09-04, 12:46PM CDT

Publishers Sweepstakes called my mobile. Said the company name is EMSI (Exclusive Media Services Inc, but couldnt find it anywhere online. Chad Pennington said they said i won a trip or $25K cash because i use my visa/mc etc. he said that the call was being recorded by the BBB... o.O i really dont think that the BBB does that at all. then the next level called me back and said soemthing about a magazine. I said that I am not interested in purchasing a magazine. she asked if i said that to chad, i said no. Then she just hung up on me. Total SCAM!!!!!! do not fall for it.

4cae771b, 2009-11-02, 10:59PM CST

Well I recieved the call on June 30th from Emily and I recieved my vacation voucher on Sept. 14th. My husband and I went ahead and took that vacation on Sept. 30th for the 3 day and 2 night stay. I must say it was a nice resort location in Hot Springs, AR that we chose. Even though everything was paid for I think 3 days isnt long enough. Now I did subscribe to the one weekly magazine for 5 years and it cost me 1 payment of 84.11 and I will be billed every year for the rest. Well what I did is I paid the first 84.11 and before this year is out I will call and cancel so that it only cost me 84.11 for airfare, hotel and a nice trip with my love. So instead of them screwing me out of 84.11 for 5 years....I got a nice trip on them for 84.11 plus a nice geneva watch and 2 magazines. LOL With these folks you have to think smart. The card I used to pay with I actually turned it off and got a new card issued just in case they play dirty and take money out my account. Folks NOTHING in life is free but its nice to stick it to folks who try to stick it to you.

6061b74d, 2010-02-11, 02:01PM CST

2-11-10

I just got a call from Publisher's Sweepstakes" from a lady. (Red lights went off when she asked for me by my maiden name. I have been married nearly 4 years. Only my credit card is in my maiden name.) She said that "some time ago" I had been entered into the sweepstakes and had won $100,000 just for making it to the finals. She congratulated me. I said,"thanks but i don't remember entering this sweepstakes."

Then the line went dead....

I called back and it went to her voicemail.

dun, Dun, DUN! The plot thickens.

The probability of someone entering for you is very slim! That's only in movies!

NO ONE COMES OUT OF THESE THINGS WITHOUT GETTING THEIR CREDIT WHACKED AGAINST THE WALL!

0d030cff, 2010-04-28, 01:07PM CDT

I am an employee here at EMSI and the information that has been posted is incorrect. We are not affiliated with PCH period. We also do not approve of our employees using unlawful sales tactics and those employees have been discovered and reprimanded accordingly. We are not affiliated with the BBB and we do record phone verifications for this matter exactly. I am not at liberty to discuss payments but I can say this...the prices offered to customers for a weekly magazine are 40-60% less than the prices you would pay weekly for that same magazine every week at the local news stand or grocery store. We offer the free watch and vacation voucher as gifts along with a year subscription for two monthly magazines. You do not pay for the service monthly. We take the total amount and break it down over 8-12 months for affordability purposes and once it is paid for you still continue to get your magazines for the service length. We send out confirmation letters, invoices, cancellation agreements, and we also can make payment arrangements. On behalf or my company, I apologize for any misunderstandings. Please feel free to give our CS dept a call should u have any issues with your service.

P.S. We do no have anything to do with the selection of the winner of the sweepstakes. You do not have to purchase anything to win or even be entered into the sweepstakes. Everything else is a part of the promotion.

ef5b9142, 2011-08-22, 05:18PM CDT

Friend just got the same call and i told her about the scam . The money was out of her account before she even hung up the dam phone.