Posted on Wednesday, September 17th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 6f34128a

Company: Fox Rent A Car, San Francisco, CA - false claim by Fox - Fox filed insurance claim for large spider line cracks in the windshield - didn't damage windshield

# 40 for September 16, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on September 15, 2003:

From:

RE: Fox Rent A Car, San Francisco, CA - false claim by Fox - Fox filed insurance claim for large spider line cracks in the windshield - didn't damage windshield

Re: Insurance - false claim by Fox

Several weeks prior to a trip to San Francisco I reserved a car at Fox Rent A Car. I confirmed my reservation several times before my departure. Upon arrival I was informed that the car I requested was not available, and in fact they were out of cars. Another customer at the counter was advised of the same situation for their reservation.

I went to inform the other person in my party and returned to request a trip back to the airport to go to another rental car company, the clerk advised me that he had a smaller temporary car I could use for a few hours until another car came in.(some smaller beat up car with 45,000 miles on it). We accepted this car and proceeded to our hotel. We called later that night and was advised that a car was available for us to pick. This must have been between 8:30-10pm.

We arrived at the rental location, we were given the keys to the new rental. When we went out to inspect it there was not enough light, in fact it was practically no lighting. I returned inside and advised them that I could not inspect the car because there was not enough light. I was told by the attendant that we know what's damaged on that car already.

We taken the car back to the hotel, and parked it $30.00 a day in a parking garage. The following day we did inspect the car and it appeared to be in order.

After the weekly rental we returned the car to the rental company, full with gas. A guy inspected the milage and gas gage and reported back to the desk clerk. He later came in the office, called her to the side and whispered something to her.

She came back to checking us out and said that the windshield had a hole in it. We all went back outside and we (the 4 people in my party) could not see any holes in the windshield. There were no cracks, no spider lines, just bugs from driving. The clerk requested I sign a form that the windshield was damaged. I refused. I did not damage the windshield. I saw no visible signs of damage to the windshield.

The Clerk stated she didn't care if I didn't sign the form, she didn't need my signature and would send in the form to my insurance company anyway.

As we were getting on the transfer bus to go back to the airport there were 4 other people getting on with us. They all were complaining and angry that the rental company was saying that they damaged their car in some way. It was at that point I realized that this company was pulling off a scam on it's customers.

On Sept 12, 2003 I was contacted by my insurance company that a claim had been filed by Fox Car Rental stating that I returned the car with large spider line cracks in the windshield. I advised them of the above. They requested copies of the past rentals on this car and Fox refused.

It is unfair that a car company be allowed to do this to customers. It is unfair that my insurance company should have to give money to this fraudulent claim and inadvertently affects my record. I need help.

Cynthia L Rehman