Posted on Tuesday, September 10th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by c6aa1ba1

Company: 1999 Nissan Primera - 50,000 KM - car didn't start - needed new Bendix solenoid starter

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 8, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 Nissan Primera - 50,000 KM - car didn't start - needed new Bendix solenoid starter

Dear Sir/Madam I bought a 1999 model Nissan Primera on 24 May 2002 with 50 000 kilos on the clock at Kim Nissam, Kimberley. I experienced problems after I drove to Bloemfontein shortly after I bought the vehicle. I switched it off in Bloemfontein and when I wanted to start it again nothing happened.

After about 45 minutes it started again. It did the same shortly afterwards on my way to Nelspruit. I was very disappointed that the car was so unreliable. I reported this to Kim Nissan and they had a mechanic

checking out the problem but replied that no problem could be found.

I thereafter took it to the AA for a test who found the problem. They reported that the car needs a new starter (bendix and solenoid). I have now replaced the starter at a cost of R2000,00. I asked Nissan Head Office what could have caused a problem like this and if they are aware of a similar problem on this model. I also wanted some assurance that if I replace the starter that I won't have any further similar trouble.

They instead informed me that they do not get involved in second had car matters and referred me back to my local dealer who in the first instance could not even find a problem with the car.

I feel that this was a hidden defect because even if the car was tested before I bought it it was possible that this problem would not have been found in any case because the car is only tested for road worthiness.

I do not want to blame anybody but is there no such thing as after sales service/ assistance on a second hand car. Is this my damage and that is the end of it?

Thank you.