Thunderbird Resort, Lawrence, MI - unhappy with campground membership I had a campground membership which (thank goodness) I was able to get out of. - Thunderbird Resort, Lawrence, MI - unhappy with campground membership

Posted on Sunday, September 8th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by e478e37c

Company: Thunderbird Resort, Lawrence, MI - unhappy with campground membership I had a campground membership which (thank goodness) I was able to get out of.

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 6, 2002:

From:

RE: Thunderbird Resort, Lawrence, MI - unhappy with campground membership I had a campground membership which (thank goodness) I was able to get out of.

Membership camping is a good deal IF you don't own a home (maybe an RV) and the kids have left home. If you are retired and make good money, this may be the way to go. But there are many drawbacks: They call you and set up an appt. to meet. They promise a free gift no obligation and then they hit you with all the good points. These are the travelling telemarketers. They are not actually part of the campground. You sign countless forms, one being a No 3 day cancellation period. So you're stuck.

You can take them to court but they follow the guidelines exactly. The gift costs under $25 so you cannot get any money back. ( If the gift was more, by law, they must refund you're money or allow a 3 day cancellation period). Tents, campers, or Rv's are allowed and so are pets...RIGHT!!! Even though they knew about our camper from the beginning, they would only allow it under strict regulations. The membership usually comes with a Coast to Coast membership which allows you to camp at specific locations for $6 a night. CtoC costs an average of $100 a year.

The membership itself can range form $3000 on up, with a dues pmt of approx $300 depending on the area. That is per year. And the only way out of this agreement is to sell it. I've tried to sell mine but you share ownership of a property which is the same as owning a house, so selling is very difficult. This is the same as a Timeshare. They tell you that there is always a market for these memberships and they will help you to sell it. This is NOT true!!

They will provide a list of resale places and show the prospective buyer the campground for a fee form the owner. And no, there isn't a market for these memberships. I've had it for sale for a long time and still no hits. So if you have responsibilities, are young with a family, and get a call from someone telling you to visit a certain area and look around, don't fall for it.

They will pull you in and never let you go. By the way, I was able to strike a deal with the campground. If I were to catch up on my dues, I will no longer be the owner at the end of the year. I've lost my money but, oh well. I'm out. This membership of mine was at Thunderbird Resort in Lawrence, MI. But it does apply to all of them. I've heard various horror stories.

9d81a97b, 2008-04-20, 06:59PM CDT

Recently we received a letter from this campground indicating that we would have to pay $16.00 per day for camping when originally it was free. We paid $5,000.00 for membership; later paid $1,500.00 so our family could come and join us and very recently we paid $2,000.00 so we wouldn't have to pay yearly dues and now this. No storage of RV's, pay for dumping our trailer, etc. It's hard to believe that they didn't know we were going to be charged a nightly rate when we paid the $2,000.00.

b2869503, 2008-07-02, 03:11PM CDT

I have shared the same experience with this company however I am not out of the woods yet. I have 4 children and this has very much been a bad financial choice for our family. I don't know if I will ever get out from underneath this. and I hope no one else gets talked into a contract like this one.