Posted on Friday, September 6th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 699b73d4

Company: Garmin GPS MAP 235 Sounder - unhapy with the depth sounder feature - stuck with $ 2000 unit that only half works

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 4, 2002:

From:

RE: Garmin GPS MAP 235 Sounder - unhapy with the depth sounder feature - stuck with $ 2000 unit that only half works

I have had this unit (Garmin GPSMAP 235 Sounder) for 5 years, happy with most of the features with the definite exception of the depth sounder. This feature has not been satisfactory from the beginning.

Firstly, the breakaway transducer would constantly breakaway at the tip of a hat, this kept me occupied for two voluble seasons until I secured it by overlapping washers under the wood screws over the dowel portion of the mount. That taken care of, the next season showed intermittent function of the depth sounder portion, it would come and go until it stopped altogether.

I sent it back to Garmin at a cost of $199. plus $42. Shipping, when I got it back it was late December, I could not really test it inside the 90 day warranty, so when spring boat season started I plugged it in, it worked for about 2 hours, then nothing, emailed tech. support they took it back and speedily sent me a new unit (I thought that was really nice) unfortunately this unit stopped working also.

I since emailed them they responded by saying I wasn't supposed to use the same transducer. They never said not to use the same transducer, how was I supposed to guess this? Now I appear to be stuck with this $2000.+ unit that half works and I still need a sounder badly.