Posted on Thursday, September 5th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 6cee4c2d

Company: 2001 Chevy Malibu - exhaused system leaked - not covered under warranty - noises coming from under car

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 3, 2002:

From:

RE: 2001 Chevy Malibu - exhaused system leaked - not covered under warranty - noises coming from under car

At the end of July, 2002, I purchased a used vehicle - a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu at a local dealership. Knowing that my past credit wasn't the best I thought my chances bleak. I traded in my car because it had over 125,000 miles and had frequent breakdowns that were costing me an arm and a leg. Knowing that I would be paying more in interest on my new purchase I felt somewhat vulnerable when shopping around. The dealership explained that the cost of the vehicle, extended warranty and such would exceed $400.00 per month...the length of the loan 70 months. I know that this is excessive but after talking to the dealer representative I felt I could not qualify for a loan anywhere else. I explained that the reason I needed the car was that my family needed something reliable, that we couldn't afford any unexpected costs. This is why I needed a somewhat late model car with an extended warranty. Within a week of purchase I noted that the exhaust system leaked, and that many undesireable noises were being heard from underneath. Knowing that I had an extended warranty I took the car to be looked with expectations of having the problem repaired. To my dismay I was told that the problem would not be covered under the terms of the warranty, that the car had apparantly received damage caused by the previous owner. The cost for repairs is estimated at somewhere between $450.00 and $500.00. My budget is limited and it is unlikely that I will be able to have the car fixed in the near future. Does anyone know if I have any legal recourse?