Posted on Wednesday, September 4th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 372795ae

Company: DMK Smart Perks - accepeted offer via FCNB bank - paid money, than cancelled - waiting for situation to get fixed

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 2, 2002:

From:

RE: DMK Smart Perks - accepeted offer via FCNB bank - paid money, than cancelled - waiting for situation to get fixed

9-02-02 I recently placed an order via telephone with eddie bauer. This acct. is handled by FCNB bank. I accecpted a trial for something called " smart perks " BAD IDEA . I recd. in the mail a packet from HOME PLAY to look over, which I did and decided it wasn't something I wanted . That same evening I called and canceled via automated phone service receiving a confirmation number which I wrote down. Then I get a statement from FCNB with a $29.99 charge for you guessed it " smart perks ".

I called FCNB and explained the situation and was told it may take two statements for the charge to be credited and to wait and see if it was removed by the next statement, also to call and cancel again which I did and yes, I have a second cancelation number.Next month I receive a new statement from FCNB and guess what, still the $29.99 from smart perks and now a $29.00 late fee from FCNB. I called FCNB again and was told it would probably appear on the next statement.

Well you guessed it another statement same deal as above with the late charges really adding up.I now as of 9-2-02 owe $29.99 for smart perks plus about $90.00 in late fees to FCNB. I have spoke with FCNB again and was told to send a letter to themselves and to smart perks disputing charges. I will say in defense of FCNB they have been kind and helpful during this but I was asked to send them a $45.00 payment to keep account in good standing which I thought was unfair.

I read the fine print on the back of my statement and it stated " when disputing charges you are not required to make payment on those charges" which is my case since I had already paid off the account before this started, nor could they " report you as deliquent or take any action to collect the amount in question ".

When I have called smart perks the cust service reps leave a lot to be desired, I have asked to speak with someone in charge and keep getting JENNIFER who I must say well, maybe I won't say it. Her favorite phrase is " it's non-refundable " to which I asked how could it be non-refunable when I never recd. anything but home play to cancel which I did.

Jennifer say's their not responsible for the U.S. MAIL. I also canceled smart perks automatically when it appeared on my bill second time after canceling smart perks which I thought was what home play was. I have to stop now I think I've vented enough I'm starting to confuse me. I just think other people should know about this stuff it"s not fair to be duped and really have no recourse.I have done all I know to do to straighten this out but who knows what the outcome will be? I 'm putting my faith in FCNB to help make this right.

JACQUELYN NORMAN