Posted on Monday, September 30th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by b4598837

Company: 1998 Chevy Malibu LS - bad brake rotors - replaced and paid for by GM once - replacement rotors went bad at 40,000 miles

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 28, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 Chevy Malibu LS - bad brake rotors - replaced and paid for by GM once - replacement rotors went bad at 40,000 miles

I bought a 1998 Malibu LS from a private owner. The car had about 7000 miles on it, thus the warrantee was still in effect. bumper to bumper they told me. In 2000 with approximately 20,000 miles on the car, the front rotors went bad while we were vacationing in Albuquerque NM. We stop at Galles Chevrolet on 3/24/00 to have them repaired. At that time I was told that brakes are not part of this warranty.

I told them to go ahead and fix them, and I would take it up with the dealer when I got back to Wi. When I went back to pick up the car, it seems that they found a flyer from GM stating that they had got a bad batch of rotors so they would cover my repairs at GM's expense.

That made me very happy Now at 40.000 miles the rotors went bad again. I sent an E mail off to GM, realizeing that the warranty was no longer in effect, but wondering if they were having problems yet with rotors,and if anything could be done about it.They gave me a file no. 1-28030979 and told me to refer to that no.

They said they reviewed my request but brakes and rotors are maintenance items and did not come under warranty I then sent them a e mail stating that they fixed them the first time because of a bad batch of rotors, and maybe they still have bad products.

Would they be willing to go half with me? I got a return from a Mr. Terry Harkness stating that they were not

going to fix this problem and that they will no longer accept E mail on this subject. I can not be the only person having problems with brakes on these cars. I talked to a former salesperson that sold chevys and he told me GM was having troubles with rotors since 1992. I have since got them fixed, but I did keep the receipt just in case there may be a recall someday.

Is there anything else I can do?, or is this the end?

Thanks for letting me talk to somebody about this

Bernell Ellenbecker