NSS - NSS - New Subscription Service - billed for unauthorized magazine subscription renewal - fought back, and received refund for bogus charge

Posted on Sunday, September 29th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 67847904

Company: NSS

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 27, 2002:

From:

RE: NSS - New Subscription Service - billed for unauthorized magazine subscription renewal - fought back, and received refund for bogus charge

Make sure you keep your credit card receipts, and verfiy your statements when they come in. Credit-card scammers are in business only around because too often the consumer doesn't check their credit card statements. I got an unauthorized entry of a magazine subscription and as a result of calling the Magazine, the credit card company, and the discounter, the 2 conclusions we came to were that the distributor: New Subscription Service (never heard of them before) routinely re-news subscriptions without the consumer authorization or they are running a scam.

Their phone number does NOT enable the caller to talk to a real person, but a canned interactive Q&A, which doesn't do anything for the consumer. Additionally, one of the 1st things they ask for is your credit card number! What legitimate company does that???????? Well they got busted....they didn't get any of my money! If you see, in the description of transactions column, the entry start off with: NSS, be suspicious. This stands for "New Subscription Service". At the very least, the Attoney General would be interested in them...for at least unethical practices. Heather Collins

f43fa6b5, 2008-03-28, 01:16PM CDT

this happened to me as well

i have been receiving Bicycling and Runners World, when i called and cancelled them and other mags i was receiving for free after several bicycling events i registered for online. I have tried to contact and get no real person either. What did you do to get money back.. 20$ for Bicycling and $24 for Runners World, Im upset and will fight

77bb6732, 2008-05-15, 01:26PM CDT

Having same problem with New Subscription services. Am at a standstill now, too bad no information on HOW you got it stopped. Only thing left to do is try to go thru credit card company I would guess. They owe me for 1-1/2 years of national geographic.

c5843340, 2008-08-02, 07:59PM CDT

I had the same thing happen to me. I called my credit card company and they gave me the number for NSS Magazine where you can actually talk to a live person. It's 1-800-607-9458. Press "0" to get an operator. The recording said I might be waiting a long time, but I opted to wait, but didn't wait long at all, so don't give up. The two magazines that were charged to my credit card weren't bogus - I am getting the subscriptions and they were never free to begin with, but they did renew automatically without my consent. I opted to keep one of the mags, but cancelled the other. It's now a waiting game to see if I get my $42 back. I'll keep bugging them until I do, and report them to the BBB.

5bfd3d6b, 2008-08-11, 07:24AM CDT

Same story for me. I had a legitimate magazine subscription that I was letting expire. NSS renewed my subscription and billed my credit card without authorization. As one of the commentors directed I called 800-607-9458, and dialed "0", I was immediately connected to an operator where I was able to cancel the subscription.

a105a5da, 2008-09-15, 03:33PM CDT

I just had the same thing happen today, though I got a diff. phone number... 877-813-0320.

I just kept hitting "0" til I got an operator, lol.

I barely even had to explain the situation, and he cancelled it and authorized a refund. We'll see how long it actually takes to get back on my card, but he sure didn't seem surprised to hear someone upset. hm...

2f1ed5b8, 2008-10-13, 09:24AM CDT

The same thing has happened to me and the date is Oct 2008. This business should be shut down. In my book it is violating the law.

The Atlantic Monthly told me that I could talk to a person by hitting 0-0 after I dial 1-877-210-0582.I am goingto try to get my money back and I will involve my bank if necessary,

e091aa9c, 2008-10-20, 06:14PM CDT

THESE PEOPLE KEEP CHARGING MY CHADWICK'S CREDIT CARD AND I DID NOT ORDER THESE SUBSCRIPTIONS. I CANNOT GET IN TOUCH WITH THE WFNNB BANK SO WHAT DO I DO TO GET THIS WIPED OUT.

c61033c4, 2009-02-17, 08:53AM CST

I was also charged for three expensive magazines...don't recall giving them my credit card number so I'm sure it was some kind of 'free' incentive since I do alot of online shopping. I'll be way more cautious in the future!

I called their automated number from my bill (877-781-3425) and then googled it...and got this site with the 800-607-9458 number. I initally didn't hit '0' and was disappointed to hear the same automated voice again!! Kept hitting '0' and finally got an operator who verified my cancellations. This was really frustrating but I'll be keeping an eye out for my refund.

I think I made a mistake by telling her to call back on one of the magazines I wasn't even receiving...now they have my new home phone!

38ef665f, 2009-02-18, 01:04PM CST

I recived three mags a all of them gave me NSS number-18772100582.Keep hittin 0 and u will get to talk oa real person.She cancelled my subscrption in a second.They got my informaton from ticekt master whle buying game tkts.first three months are free so they didn't get my money.

27637c09, 2009-07-20, 02:42PM CDT

I learned about this service through Harris Publishing. I took advantage of the free trial offers, with the promise that I would receive notification when my trial period would end. The only notification I received was a charge on my credit card. I tried to cancel the magazines - was successful with 2 out of 3, after listening to (1) a series of very confusing and misleading directions and (2) offers for more magazines. I called two numbers: 877-781-3425 and 800-607-9458, both with the same lack of results. There was never a chance to talk to an operator. As I can see from complaints on this site and elsewhere on the Web, this outfit has been up to its tricks for quite a while. I will notify Harris Publishing to stop using this company (whoever they are); I also hope my posting here alerts other readers. Better order your magazines from the publisher or from Amazon!

353f46c1, 2009-07-21, 07:13PM CDT

For anyone who were able to talk to someone in person and got their refund back, please tell me if they really did refund your credit card. If yes, how long did it take? Thanks!

a90d4e22, 2009-11-03, 04:18PM CST

I had to call this company to cancel three different magazine subscriptions. The first two I did using the automated service but I found these comments here just now so I called the number listed in a post and kept hitting 0 until I got to an operator. I didn't have to wait at all. They try to give you other offers but I wasn't interested, just wanted the refunds. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THEM AT THE END WHEN THE REFUND WILL SHOW UP ON YOUR ACCOUNT. I asked the guy on the phone once we were finished when I should expect to see the refund and he said he had to go back and do something over because the way I had answered one of his misleading questions made it sound like I didn't want a refund. Listen very carefully to what they are asking you and if it doesn't make 100% sense then ask them to explain it. Then don't forget to ask when you will see the refund.

b4b93f70, 2009-11-26, 07:18PM CST

hey guys, i just saw the charge and called this number 1877 210 0582, listen to long voice options and eventually the automated service said that they canceled my account and will refund the charge. now waiting for refund in two days.

d9622866, 2009-11-26, 07:20PM CST

3422198b, 2009-11-26, 07:21PM CST

205f6e27, 2010-01-04, 01:17PM CST

Discovered $50 charge on my credit card for auto renewal of Games Magazine ($26.95 renewal for Games directly).

Called and 0-0 to operator. Got promise to remove charge. Does anyone know how to formally register a complaint with some government org that can take legal action?

d18650f4, 2010-01-18, 01:44PM CST

i just got a charge for cosmopolitan for $18, that i didn't solicit, so i'm glad there's a history of this scam--SINCE 2002~THESE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PULLING THIS SCAM! UNBELIEVABLE!

I'LL be fighting to get my money back too! i haven't used my credit card for 3 months so when this transaction came up i saw it immediately...anyway, thank you all for putting down this history.

95976072, 2010-01-28, 01:54PM CST

This place is horrendous! When my People magazine subscription ran out, I re-newed through this place because my nephew was selling subscriptions through school. I think for the entire year I received about half of the magazines- weeks would go by and nothing. I phoned them and did get to speak to a person who said the problem would be fixed. It was for a few weeks, then back to the sporadic delivery. Now, its been over a month and no magazines. I called the real People magazine and they told me my subscription with this place ran out 2 months ago---No phone call, no letter, no nothing letting me know- and they didn't auto renew. Terrible customer service!

7892a057, 2010-02-15, 10:28AM CST

Same story here. got charged for mad magazine as a VIP. riiight. fighting back

2dbcf13d, 2010-03-31, 02:22PM CDT

i CALLED 1-800-607-9458 AND JUST KEPT HITTING 0. I DID GET AN OPERATOR "ADRIANA" SHE SAID SHE CANCELED THE ORDER AND I WOULD SEE A REFUND ON THE CREDIT CARD. SO WE WILL SEE....I then looked at 2009 charges out of curosity...there were 2 more charges in december, one was for the same magazine that they already charged me for jan 2010

dba2ce6c, 2010-04-04, 09:54AM CDT

I just checked my statement online and found that NSS renewed two of my subscriptions without authorization. One was Daily Variety at a cost of $338, double the price that I initially subscribed for. I begin the phone calls to reverse them tomorrow, but there should be some way to put these people out of business. I see this has been going on for years and I'm certain that people don't even check their credit card charges.

b5b76404, 2010-04-07, 03:50PM CDT

Thanks for putting this number up. I couldn't find it on my credit card charges. By the way, everytime I try to cancel, they offer the subscription for a really low cost.

9dffb04f, 2010-04-20, 06:00PM CDT

I got to choose 3 different magazines for a free three month trial during a online purchase. little did i know that after the free trial they keep sending and bill you. I called Rolling stone to get the vendors number and was annoyed by the recorded voice. i had to go through each magazine 3 times in order to have my cancel verified to me, that's an equivalent of calling the place 9 times and listening to the recorder for ten minutes each. Luckily i canceled them before the free trial ended and hopefully they dont renew like i have been hearing in here. Dont trust vendors, if you get a magazine, subscribe it directly from the magazine company to ensure good customer service. If this is always happening with NSS then why are they not out of business?

a2e672d0, 2010-05-17, 10:16AM CDT

I just got off the phone with Renee, she was very friendly, and said that I will get the $26 back and the subscription was cancelled.

What happened was, we had some airline points and we got Family Fun magazine for $2 for a year (great deal) but then it automatically renewed. Anyway, my experience was good because my money will be refunded and it was my mistake for not making a reminder (in the email - great tool) to cancel.

Good luck, everyone. :)

205cd7e4, 2010-07-09, 07:27PM CDT

I also had charges for two magazine subscriptions. Due to my own fault, I let this continue for three years with auto renewal. I did call the 800 number and was immediatly refunded my money without any hassle. You do have to listen to the recording and select the touchtone option before you press "0". I'm satisfied.

d3790aab, 2010-07-22, 02:31PM CDT

I ordered a Naval Institiute Directory and from HARRIS CONNECT and was told I would receive a free subsription to SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN magazine. This was in April. I recieved two issues of 'SA' and then noticed a charge of $35 on my AMEX account. This was for six months..

I did the dispute thing with AMEX today and then I looked at the subscription rate for Scientific American. Individual is $39.97 for a YEAR!

I wrote an e mail to the Harris Connect people saying that this isn't really a good way to do business.

4c4f5d1b, 2010-07-24, 04:54PM CDT

I cancelled 2 magazine subscriptions last year from this company. American Express was very helpful in reversing the charge and explained that the merchant can keep charging me on auto-renew until I cancel, which I did. Now one year later, they are billing me again! This company should be investigated and put out of business. Call 800-607-9458 to cancel - I did it through the automated system but I'll see if it really works this time. I doubt it.

489e08f6, 2010-10-01, 04:52PM CDT

I"ve just found that this company has taken money out of my American Express without authorisation. When I spoke with a customer service person, they told me that a protracted form needed to be completed and an investigation in to why I was charged. I explained for the value of the charge it seemed a little excessive to be having a full scale investigation. The fact remained, I was offered magazines for a free trial period and they were charging me money for them. This means they were falsifying their claims and fraudulently taking money from my account. I await to hear from them - which I'm told will be 5-10 business days. A little suspicious that they are making such a big deal out of what should be a simple refund.

6412e3b4, 2010-10-14, 09:18AM CDT

I called the 800 number and they refunded the money no problem and sent a 5 month Fortune subscription for 5.95 with an option to renew at the end. Do your research ppl and don't post things when you're upset.

4d444daf, 2010-12-16, 05:48PM CST

I have to say that my experience -- so far -- IS MUCH BETTER THAN MOST POSTED HERE!!

Like others, I found a charge on my credit card that seemed wrong. (IT TURNED OUT TO BE RIGHT, after my research.) I looked on the Internet, and found these other comments. (When I make comments like some of those, my wife asks, "Would you like cheese with that whine?")

With great trepidation, I called the 877# on the credit card bill. It did not ask for my credit card information. It was very useful, and easy to use. Because I called from my home phone, the computer voice knew my name and address. Explained that I had been charged $42 for 10 issues of Reader's Digest, ordered 9/11/2009 . . . posted on December 13th 2010????

Asked for more details, and turns out I initially paid $20 for 15 issues last year -- not the greatest bargain, but a quite reasonable deal, and a whole lot better than other offers.

C'mon, though. $42 for 10 issues of a magazine with a $3.99 price printed on the cover? Now, that approaches a rip-off. ONE I HAD AGREED TO.

But, "cancel" had been one of the options in the voice menu, and when I went to it, the computerized lady told me the $42 would be refunded. I was given some interesting options, like a $1.50 per issue (Pretty standard, among quite a few subscription sellers.) extension, with the balance refunded. Or, a $20 gas card.

Readers digest will sell 20 issues for $15, so I opted out, and am expecting a refund.

In getting those details, I found out my wife's subscription to "Real Simple" was part of the same 9/11/09 order, so I decided to cancel while I was thinking about it, and before they billed for it.

Later, I realized the credit card limit probably saved me from a "Real Simple" charge at the same time. Put a diamond/ruby 40th anniversary ring on the card last month, which came close to max. Discovered the magazine situation when I went online to pay the bill. Magazines probably would have been a lot more expensive, if there had been room on the card to process both subscriptions.

So, if the refund does work out as it should, I'll have no complaints. Fairly simple process to find out when, why, and how the charge was initiated, and equally simple to have it reversed.

NOT REALLY A BAD SITUATION.

19f36bbe, 2011-02-09, 03:35PM CST

Thank you for giving their phone number. I also had been receiving some magazines and then saw a high amount charged for renewing them, without my knowledge. Evidentally Harris Publications gives the first 90 days of magazines as a gift when dealing with them, and it comes with the magazine continuing for a 15 month period under their patented renewal system. Of course that isn't explained at the time. The only way to catch it is to watch your credit card statements.

I agree it was hard to break free from the recording person, but by saying operator and pressing 0 often enough, I got through to a human who was happy to say my funds would be refunded.

14242d38, 2011-09-03, 11:43AM CDT

I have had the same problem with NSS. I don't know how to get them to stop either.

d4634ba6, 2011-10-12, 06:28AM CDT

I also got scammed by this place. I ordered a subscription to Readers Digest, and they never got the subscription, but the company got my money. The bank is now attempting to get my money back. What a SCAM

24818671, 2012-01-03, 10:05AM CST

I was also scammed by this company. They used my credit card without my approval, extending my subscription to

2017. I have called several times and

the only thing the say is they will send a collection agency after me. They are no affiliated with Readers Digest, whom I just called. Now how in the world do you fight someone you can't talk to...dated 10/20/2011

0e6f4bec, 2012-01-10, 07:15PM CST

this is not the first time these companies have done this to my mother on the phone and take money from her account that she gave number to at least 5 years ago the last time i had consumer fraud check it took at least three months to get the company to repay and it was with a money order ha ha no check book mto trace i am going to bank tomorrow to have it traced if possible and will change her account number also.

fa25f9a5, 2012-08-09, 05:57AM CDT

This happened to me too and the number that was on the charge, 877-850-3218 did not even work. Luckily I had used American Express and Amex put a merchant block on them so they can't bill me again an I got an instant refund.

7833a6d2, 2014-01-16, 12:03PM CST

after several calls they put the blame on me for not reading "the fine print". they are now returning the $. i had called and said i did not want to deal with automatic renewalin the past.