AOL - AOL - called to cancel - given 30 days free service to get e-mail addresses switched over - lead to continued charges and billing problems

Posted on Thursday, September 26th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 973fa1f6

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

I used AOL through my work. My account was paid by electronic transfers from my bank account. Upon leaving that job in Feb. 02 I called and cancelled my account. I was told that I would be given 30 days free to get my address book switched over.

Since I had already been billed for March, he said the free month would be for April. I was not charged in April, but in August I noticed that the fees were on my statement again. Checking my bank statements, I found that I had been billed for May-August.

I called my bank & they said they could put a stop payment on the account and run an investigation. I put a stop payment on the account so the Sept. billing would be cancelled. I then called AOL and asked that all my money be refunded. They said they could only refund 3 months and if I disputed it, everything would be reversed until the dispute was cleared up. I then asked to speak to a supervisor to complain about their business services. When she heard I had requested a stop payment, she said that was a dispute and my refund was cancelled. I was also told that it was my responsibility to call and cancel the service after the 30 day free period, this according the AOL terms and conditions. I realize that after a trial period, it is the consumer’s responsibility to cancel. However, if you’ve already cancelled the service and are given 30 days free to transfer e-mail addresses, etc., that should be the end of it. The business practices of AOL are misleading, in my opinion. If I continued to take money from some ones account, it would be considered theft at the least. The government should take a hard look at company’s that do business this way. I was told by my bank to NEVER give banking information. Instead, give your ATM number, as that can be cancelled at any time. I will have to cancel my bank account to be assured that no further charges are made. Barbara W.