Posted on Sunday, September 22nd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 5b40e3f3

Company: 2000 Ford Focus - stuck ignition switch - replaced battery - clutch assembly broke - received notice for 5 or 6 recalls

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 20, 2002:

From:

RE: 2000 Ford Focus - stuck ignition switch - replaced battery - clutch assembly broke - received notice for 5 or 6 recalls

I bought my Ford Focus in June 2000. Within days my ignition switch stuck, leaving me stranded for several hours before I got it to turn. Weeks later, I had to replace my battery. I was OK for a few months, then the spring on my clutch assembly broke. After that, the recalls started rolling in, 5 (maybe 6) recalls. Also during this time my driver's side mirror came loose and the motor for the automatic door locks broke. Each time I had to take my car in, I had to leave it and find a ride to work.

This was very inconvenient because I use my car in my job and I couldn't do my field work on the days my car was in the shop. On one occasion the dealer did give me a rental because they didn't do the work by the end of the day and a 3 day weekend was coming up. In June of 2001, I was leaving town on a 4 day

mini-vacation when the car started losing power and dying on the freeway.

I limped back to the dealer. The dealer said the fuel pump needed to be replaced (he said this was a common problem with the Focus) and he refused to repair my car until the next day, forcing me to either cancel my trip or rent a car for the trip.

This was on a Wednesday and I told them I would pick up my car at 5:00 on Monday. (I rented a car for my trip.) My car was not ready until 5:00 on Tuesday. Even though I had car rental under my service plan, the dealer refused to let me have a rental. Next my passenger side mirror started coming loose. My battery had to be replaced again.

My automatic door locks had to be repaired for a 2nd time. The eject button on my tape player broke (a very lousy design that is difficult to use) and they had to replace the stereo. I have had my car in the shop 5 or 6 times in the past 2 years ONLY because I wait until several things need to be fixed before I take it in. (Like I mentioned before, I need my car for my job and having it in the shop is a major inconvenience.) Yesterday I noticed that the paint is starting to flake off. What was Ford focusing on when they made these huge mistakes?