Posted on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 305836a4

Company: 2002 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 2500 HD w/Duramax and Allison - concerned about 220 F transmission temperature

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 1, 2002:

From:

RE: 2002 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 2500 HD w/Duramax and Allison - concerned about 220 F transmission temperature

My 2002 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 2500 HD w/Duramax and Allison is Troubling me. The Transmission Temperature Frequently reaches and exceeds 220 degrees Ferhinheit.

This condition Occures under very normal driving conditions. For Example; no load, except passengers, on seventeen mile trip to work or returning. I live in the foothills east of Sacramento California. The roads are twisty and the grades are frequent. Total elevation gain does not even exceed 1000 feet. The transmission gets very hot, about 220-230.

The outside temperature gets to be 90 to 100 in the late afternoon. I know that automatic Transmissions are very temperature sensitive and I am very concerned about it overheating and leaving my family stranded. I have been on the Allison web site and have found that the "NORMAL" operating temp for this tranny is 175-200. All the fluids have been checked and the levels are good.

My question is, do I need a secondary tranny cooler or fan? Or is this a common condition/problem? I intend to tow a 10,000 lb load and am putting it off because of this condition. I am really disapointed.