Posted on Tuesday, September 17th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 0dbca9e0

Company: 1998 Ford explorer - began to 'ride hard' at 32,000 miles - vibration in steering wheel - unable to solve problem

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 15, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 Ford explorer - began to 'ride hard' at 32,000 miles - vibration in steering wheel - unable to solve problem

In August of 2000, with about 32.000 miles on it, I began complaining that I was no longer getting the nice smooth ride that my 1998 Eddy Bauer Version of the 98 Ford Explorer that I had purchased. I complained that it was riding hard.

They rotated the tires then in Oct. I heard a grinding sound in the wheels - they replaced shoes and rear rotors.It was still bad and in May of 01 the replaced a right hub assembly. By July of 01 it was so bad the vibration shook the front passenger seat and I could no longer keep a drink in the center console without it spilling.

This vibration could be felt in the steering wheel and if I went over a bump at a high speed the steering would jerk almost out of my hands. Buy Aug it rattled and rocked . My gas efficiency dropped from 16.7 to 14.7. By Sept. they found uneven wearing of the tires. Replaced the ball joints. Each time I went into the dealership they listened, they were nice, they said that there was nothing wrong with the auto.

I finally got the head technician to drive with me and he acknowledge that there was something wrong but they did not know what else to do for me. In June of 02 the sway links and bushings were replaced and the regional rep. came to the shop to drive it.

I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. They said that this vehicle does this at this mileage ( now 67,000) I do not was to vibrate in this auto. any longer. What can I expect this dealership to do for me. They offered a trade in for a new vehicle, but I can not afford a new car at this time.

I have been so patient through this whole thing but now I am irate.

Thank, Lillian