Posted on Friday, September 13th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 9fbcdb6d

Company: 1997 Chevy Camaro SS convertible - required engine replacement at 57,000 miles - Chevy offered to pay for 1/2 of bill

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on September 11, 2002:

From:

RE: 1997 Chevy Camaro SS convertible - required engine replacement at 57,000 miles - Chevy offered to pay for 1/2 of bill

We bought a 1997 Chevy Camaro SS convertible, there were only 127 made with the 30th Anniversary paint job and extras. We paid $35,000 for this car brand new and had it shipped to us.

This was our dream car and we loved it. Steakley Chevrolet was the dealership we purchased the car from as well as two other vehicles before that from them ( camaro and a '96 Imapala SS-not cheap vehicles) .

The car is in pristine condition and we had all records of work done on the car since purchase. A month ago we heard an engine knock and immediately had it towed into Steakley. The car only has 57,000 miles on it and it needed a new engine.

The dealership said there was no oil build-up and the car was obviously well taken care of. It was nothing we did, just one of those things.

After complaints, no one offered help so I called Chevrolet. After many rude phone calls they offered to pay 1/2 of the bill. For an LT1 engine, our half came to 4,205.00. The car was 3 months out of the GM extended warranty and we still are making payments on the car. I feel they should pay for the entire engine and they feel they went above and beyond.

GM does not back their products because they, in my opinion, make an inferior product. We will never buy another GM product and we will warn everyone we can. I have purchase/lease say-so with my company and we lease 15 cars every 2 years-I will make sure we do not purchase GM.

We were considering buying a Corvette, but why would we pay even more for a car and have the engine out with less than 60,000 miles. To add insult to injury the executives at GM said the would send us a voucher for $1,000 off an new Chevrolet. We will be nice and not say what we told them. We would appreciate any help anyone could give us - our complaint number to GM is 1-22764502. --

Sharon McErlean Parsons