Farberware Cutlery - Farberware Cutlery - Lifetime Hoan - cutlery replaced 3 times because knives keep rusting

Posted on Friday, October 10th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by f2ff542a

Product: Lifetime Hoan

Company: Farberware Cutlery

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

My daughter bought a set of Farberware Cutlery for my birthday last October. The cutlery cost over $100. Since that time it has been replaced three or four times by Lifetime Hoan because the knives keep rusting. I have finally had enough.

I emailed them and said I would return the knives and asked for $100 (my daughter actually paid more than that) so I could buy a different brand that doesn't rust. The knives were bought over a year ago, so my

daughter doesn't have the receipt anymore.

I gave Lifetime Hoan the name of the store where they were bought and where it is located. Even though I've been returning the rusty knives for over a year to get replacements, and Lifetime Hoan knows this and knows what the knives cost a year ago, now they will only send the price of the knives now ($79.99).

In addition, although I have been dealing with them for the past year, instead of sending me the money so I can replace the knives, they are sending the money to my daughter so now she has to deal with it.

Anonymous, 2007-09-23, 08:13PM CDT

a good knife such as a farberware knife only rusts if you don't take care of it, obviously your not cleaning it properly....They really shouldn't honor the warranty in your case since its not a manufactured problem, its your fault its rusted....read this:

Cleaning and Care

For best results, hand wash Farberware Classic Forged and all fine cutlery with warm soapy water and a sponge. Do not wash knives with other cutlery, utensils, or other items. Rinse each knife thoroughly and dry immediately with a soft cloth, wiping from the blade back to the cutting edge. Water that remains on the knife will cause rust and spotting, and prolonged contact with high-acid content foods such as tomatoes, grapefruits, and lemons may cause discoloration. Dishwasher cleaning or rinse agents and heat can dull the blade's finish or cause the handle's luster to fade. Dry the knives immediately and thoroughly to avoid rusting. Cleaning them with a nonabrasive metal polish will usually remove discoloration, rust, and spotting.

Anonymous, 2007-09-23, 08:15PM CDT

its not their fault you don't know how to take care of a knife...they really don't have to honor the warranty in cases of the user not taking care of the items properly...

READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT A KNIFE RUSTING!!!!

Cleaning and Care

8b1eaca4, 2007-11-05, 06:11PM CST

I have a really big problem with people who tell me my stainless cutlery needs to be hand washed and dried. I am a cook in a steakhouse,"cook not a chef I feed real people" all of my cutlrey and stainless steel cookware has to be washed in water in excess of 140 deg to meet health codes. why does Farberware rust and none of my other stainless rust?

27b513a1, 2008-10-17, 04:36PM CDT

It cannot be just coincidence that the only stainless knives that rusted are Farberware. I am 55 years old and have never had a problem with another brand.

14583f54, 2008-10-18, 11:05AM CDT

I also have a set that is rusting. I just e-mail them also. I have already brought another brand. But my wife and I don't really cook for our knives to rust. We work and eat out.

Mike S., 2013-05-12, 01:32PM CDT

My mom was given a ser of knives as a gift. It is a set of 3 different size blades.

the 2 with smaller blades move in the handles. Due to the plastic piece in the middle breaks on the top.

eea23209, 2014-07-11, 02:31PM CDT

My knives have rust spots too.... I do wash & dry them by hand... do not even have a dishwasher. This product is faulty & I guess I need to return my knife block back to the store.

Kimberly R., 2014-09-14, 04:36PM CDT

I bought a block set and yes no matter how careful I am the knives all have spots. I have followed the cleaning instructions from Farberware, still they spotted. I have also tried many other methods of removing spots with zero success. Beyond that my set came with 2 pairs of scissors. The larger ones broke in 2 pieces in my hand. The rivets (3of them) came apart all at once. They are kitchen scissors for goodness sake!! It's not like I'm cutting drywall with them!! Now reading the return instructions I am supposed to pay for the return postage also??? What a crock! Buy the time I pay postage both ways I can just go buy a new pair of scissors else ware. Like others have said with such a big name I would think their products would actually last . Silly me. Will never trust the Farberware name again.

SHANNA H., 2014-09-18, 09:06PM CDT

I completely agree with the others that say that knives of other brands did not experience the same rusting. I do not own a dishwasher either and I hand wash my knives, dry them immediately as I have small children and do not leave knives or any other dishes laying out. My Farberware set started rusting within a couple of weeks of receiving them as a gift. I have had many a knife block of many different brands in my day and never experienced the issue.