Posted on Friday, October 3rd, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 91888560

Company: Monitronics - fulfilled 3 year contract and cancelled - over a year later we are still getting calls from the account resolution dept threatening to turn account over to collections

# 8 for October 2, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on October 1, 2003:

From:

RE: Monitronics - fulfilled 3 year contract and cancelled - over a year later we are still getting calls from the account resolution dept threatening to turn account over to collections

Our original contract was to end Feb 2003. We sent our written cancellation July 18, 2002. Over a year later we are still receiving regular phone calls from the account resolutions dept threatening to turn us over to collections. We fulfilled a 3-year contract even though we quit using the alarm after 1 year because we were experiencing several false alarm charges. Monitronics admitted the false alarms were due to the system malfunctioning and replaced the system but told us it was our responsibility to check this.

When we had the unexpected rate increase for the July 2002 bill, I emailed the company to have them send me a copy of our contract. I told them that I thought because we had originally agreed to pay $32 a month that we should be able to term our contract early due to the rate increase.

After receiving a copy of the contract I read Monitronics could increase our monthly rate but I also read that if we wanted to discontinue the service after our original 3 years that we were required to send a 90-day written notice. July 18, 2002 I sent a written cancellation to the Monitronics at the Chicago address. When we received a bill for the month of March 2003 we called Monitronics. We were told they never received a cancellation and so our contract renewed for another year.

We told them that we have sent the written notice and that we no longer wanted the service. Monitronics told us they would cancel our contract if we wanted to pay $406.20. I sent the 3rd request for cancellation certified mail. I sent one to the Dallas office and one certified letter to the Chicago office to make sure Monitronics received it. When I talked to them a week later they did not have record of receiving these either until I faxed them the return receipts. Monitronics now admits to receiving the cancellations but made it effective Feb 2004 and still insist we owe for 2003.

Each frustrating call we make to Monitronics gets us nowhere either. I too, have asked to talk to their legal dept and was told they do not take calls from customers. We so far have filed a complaint with the BBB of Texas, talked to an attorney, made contact with the local news station here in Portland, and filed a complaint with the Attorney General.

We are still receiving calls on a regular basis trying to collect for service we cancelled too. We paid our contract for the full 3 years and cancelled, per the terms of the contract, because we were very unhappy with the services. The experience we have had to go through in trying to cancel our contract proves to us that Monitronics is not a company anyone should deal with in my opinion.

Thank you Juliann and Richard Dillard

28204ec1, 2008-05-12, 11:36AM CDT

By far the worst Company I have ever dealt with. There customer service is the worst in the business. I have never spoke to so many rude people. Tried to cancell after 2 years the advised me I had a three year contract read the fine print. Once the contract was do to expire I had to talk to several people and then fax a letter of cancellation. They keep sending bills stating this will be your last payment. If you need to speak to a supervisor they say one is not available or better yet they try to change there voice to sound like you are talking with someone else. I live in a big condo development and I have advise everyone that I come in contact with not to do business with them. With all the complaints out there I do not understand how they stay in business. Pay a little more a month and go with a company you can trust.

a812252d, 2008-10-12, 07:42AM CDT

I must agree that Monitronics is a horrible and tristed company who steals money. Our contract was for 1 year, however, they insisted it was for 3 years. I called SEVERAL times asking for a copy of the contract indicating 3 years and never received it. But we DID keep recieving bills in the mail. Upon which they insisted we were required to pay, even though our alarm system was disassembled and NOT BEING USED. Horrible company. I don't recommend it to anyone.