2002 Toyota Corolla - replaced clogged emissions control charcoal canister

Posted on Monday, October 13th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by fd81f2fe

Company: 2002 Toyota Corolla - replaced clogged emissions control charcoal canister

# 10 for October 12, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on October 11, 2003:

From:

RE: 2002 Toyota Corolla - replaced clogged emissions control charcoal canister

October 13, 2003 Dear Complaints.com: I am writing regarding an issue with my 2002 Toyota Corolla. I recently had to replace an emissions control device in my car, a charcoal canister due to it being clogged. I am concerned that this may be a wide-spread problem because on the day that I had my car repaired, I met another person at the Toyota service station with the same issue and who also had a 2002 Toyota Corolla. However, fortunately for her she was still under warranty so she did not have to pay for the repair. The warranty for this part is 3 years or 36,000 miles. Unfortunately for me, I was at the 38,000 mark on mileage and so I was out of warranty. Before I had the car fixed, I contacted Toyota customer assistance center at 800-331-4331 (reference #: 200309021930) and after a bit of back and forth, they informed me that they would "good will" the part to me since I was "right out of" warranty, but I would have to pay for the labor. As a side to this story, Toyota North in Mt. Kisco (where I purchased my car) labor fee to replace this part is a $90 diagnostic fee plus 1.5 hours labor adding to a total of about $225. After shopping around, I found that Toyota City in Mamaroneck (located within the same county as Toyota North) labor fee for the same job is $90 total. Obviously, I opted to go to Toyota City to have the part replaced. My concern is how many clogged charcoal canisters had to be replaced in the 2002 model of a Toyota Corolla. I did contact the U. S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and filed a report regarding the failure on this part and hope that others would do the same. Overall, I don't think people are aware that they can file a report on this type of vehicle part, as they do not think it is related to a safety concern. I would like to get the message out to all Toyota owners that it is very important to file a report on any auto part that fails regardless of the fact that it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty. I also feel that an emissions control device should last longer than just two years. My family has owned several different models of Toyota automobiles over the past 15 years and we have never had to replace such a device. The Toyota Corolla model, being a modest car, should not require to replace a $300 part every two years that is needed to keep our environment clean. If you can assist me in finding out how many clogged charcoal canisters had to be replaced in the 2002 Toyota Corolla model or how to get the word out to the owners of Toyota cars, I would be most grateful. I appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide. Sincerely yours, Mindy Samitt

Putnam Valley, NY 10579 COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_38390# cc: U.S. Department of Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

cf670898, 2008-04-30, 08:45AM CDT

After approximately 2 years, my 2002 Toyota Siena's check engine light was on. Queensboro Toyota fixed it by replacing chrcoal canister. About 1500 miles later my gas refulling valve satrted shutting off aotometically even though gas not full.Queensboro Toyota checked & said Charcoal canister need to be replaced. After 1 year of previous replacement, I need to pay $495(Part+Labor).I complained about it, but it was fruitless. Any suggestion?

9aeb5cea, 2008-08-10, 10:07PM CDT

My 2002 Toyota Corolla has 79000 miles on it and the check engine light has been on and off at least 3 times the past 3 months.

Auto Zone tested it and said it was a valve leak, perhaps gas cap.

My mechanic replaced the gas cap , after a 90$ "in depth" diagnostic, and the light went back on within 2 weeks.

Upon further investigation, it appeared it was , in fact, an emission device that was not a safety feature. However, the light would need to be off to pass inspection.

I was able to secure inspection but know the light will be back on again.

I'm just going to keep having the light turned off, drive 60 miles or so, and then , each year get my inspection.

I would have had to pay $400 for the part and then labor , had my brother not shared info and personal experience with his Toyota.

I also have had 3 sets of brakes on my car. In city driving ruins my brakes.

However, when I had a truck plow into me from the back , with a previous Corolla 2001, going 40+ mph, I was saved in my Toyota. It did everything it was suppose to; it pointed into a t and protected me. The jaws of life were needed but I survived. A damn sturdy car.

c96f7591, 2009-02-14, 06:09PM CST

I have the same problem with my 2002 Corolla. I brought the car to AutoZone and borrowed the diagnostics machine and it read the same error. I tightened my gas cap like they said. It still came on after a few days.

I brought my car for an inspection in Houston. I failed the emission portion. They said it was my canister valve and purge valve were defective and that my computer was not working and had to be replaced.

I think the problem is related to that but I'm not sure. either way, it would cost me about $350 to replace both valves just to pass the inspection.

defbdc19, 2009-08-26, 04:28PM CDT

I have the same problemwith my charcoal canister. It fell apart at 55000 miles. I just don't understand the word reliablity in relevance to Toyota. Interestingly, I did exactly the same thing you did - called Toyota Motor company and the representative said she would pay for the part since all 3 vehicles of mine are from Toyota. I called them back to reconfirm just before I took it to the dealer and another company representative who answered the call this time completely negated responsibility and even denied the previous one's assurances. Whats more appaling is that they closed the case without any notification to me! Lastly I did complain on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. So NO MORE TOYOTA vehicles for me! If they aren't reliable to keep their word for a part worth 350, how I am going to trust them with next vehicle?

8d47bbb6, 2009-10-27, 08:36AM CDT

My 2002 Camry check engine light came on at 128,000 miles. I replaced the gas cap and reset the light but it came on again about a week later. Took it to a dealer and they told me the emissions charcoal cannister,fuel filler neck, and some switching valves would have to be replaced for about $900 parts and labor. This is my fourth Toyota and I have never had this kind of expense from a Toyota with only 128,000. I think this is a defect that Toyota is not owning up to.

Anonymous, 2010-02-08, 02:27PM CST

I have a 1999 corolla and so far I have put two charcoal canisters in mine they seem to go every 4 years and are very pricey,I do'nt know if I would buy another corolla it seems that they have not fixed the problem.

3e6a3b91, 2010-09-27, 05:46PM CDT

I own a 2002 toyota sequoia and i ran into the same exact problem. I spent $98 for diagnostic, $140 labor, and $260 for the charcoal canister at Hartford Toyota in CT.