1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 - leaking coolant from intake manifold gasket

Posted on Thursday, October 10th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by ea980c51

Company: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 - leaking coolant from intake manifold gasket

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on October 8, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 - leaking coolant from intake manifold gasket

My Grand Am has only 43,000 miles on it and I purchased it new. The low coolant light had been coming on. I took it to the Service Dept. at the dealership for an oil change and asked that they check the coolant.

I was then told that the intake manifold gasket needed to be replaced and the job would cost $865.00 (including the oil change and a coolant flush) because it was very labor intensive.

I later asked another mechanic at a local garage for an estimate and was told it would be $460.00 (I did not need the coolant flush or most of the parts/labor the dealer was trying to sell). I feel that the "Dealer" name is unimportant at this point, because I think they all rip you off anyway.

I am very upset that GM has not made a recall or attempted to reimburse the car owners having this problem. Is there ANY recourse?

abba363a, 2008-04-23, 04:31PM CDT

I feel the same way, the 3.4 v6 also comes in the Malibu and Impala, I have two friends with the two cars that have had the same problem as my Grand Am Gt has

GM needs to own up and take care of these problems.

I am very disappointed in GM.

8b0a8f6f, 2008-06-07, 10:29AM CDT

I have a 99 Grand Am that I took for a tuneup and coolant flush and they told me the same. Bad Gaskets leak due to GM's DexCool Coolant corroding the gasket. They do reimburse but do not know the procedure to receive reimbursement.

e589f17d, 2008-07-15, 11:44AM CDT

check this out if you have had this problem

621c31b2, 2008-09-04, 09:01PM CDT

put dex-cool in anything and the gaskets will fail.Caution not useing death-cool will harm your engine ,How much worse could it be,Flush the death-cool x2 and install green antifreeze and a good water pump lube and your repair bills are over?100,000 mile plugs will seize in heads at 50K miles even with anti seize,100,000-150.000 dex-cool will distroy any engine regaurdless of poor gaskets installed in the 3.1L and 3.4L motors.

97e7409b, 2008-09-21, 10:37PM CDT

Hi! I am quite familar with the 3.4L Intake issue with GM, as I had a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am with that problem. The first time it went up to 130 and the coolant came on so I shut the car off... Took it in to a local mechanic, and they couldn't find a problem with the vehicle.

So got the car back and was running great. Then two months later low coolant light came on again. But to make a really long story short the intake went out 8 months ago, had it repaired that was a pretty penny... The car was stolen, so now have 2003 Oldsmobile Alero. It only has 36,493 miles on it and it's leaking coolant. I could literally scream... But it's only done this once, so guess have to make a trip to GM tomorrow morning.

4527efc4, 2008-12-21, 07:11AM CST

my 1999 grand am 3.4 l has no heat i checked all the fuses because the radio gave out at the same time thanks gary