Posted on Friday, October 4th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by c9df97bf

Company: AT&T - 1-800 call ATT collect call number - paid $ 3.99 surcharge and $ 1 per minute for collect call

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on October 2, 2002:

From:

RE: AT&T - 1-800 call ATT collect call number - paid $ 3.99 surcharge and $ 1 per minute for collect call

I just received a bill for $25.00 from AT&T. Since we don't use AT&T as our long distance provider, I called to see why we had a bill. They said it was for an operator-assisted collect call. I found out that my brother-in-law had called collect, but had used the much-advertised 1-800-call-ATT number. I called AT&T back and was told even if he never spoke to an operator, there was a standard $3.99 surcharge for using that number (if an operator had spoken to him it would have been much higher).

Also the phone call itself was 90 cents a minute, so with taxes, we paid over $1.00 a minute for the call. I don't remember Carrot Top mentioning in those ads about the surcharge or the $1.00 a minute calls. I have had much worse experiences than this with my current local and long distance provider, Sprint, and if I ever have a couple hours of free time to type in my nightmare experiences I will do so.

But here's a question for anyone who is listening -- is there a phone company out there that TELLS THE TRUTH, that let's you know up front what your REAL COSTS will be, that gives customer service that doesn't involve 10 minutes of interaction with a automated voice system just to be put on hold for who knows how long -- all to finally get lied to or given no satisfactory solutions. If there is such a phone company, I want to know -- I'll pay a little more just feel less anger and frustration.

I don't have a choice for local service -- Sprint is it in our area and thus they charge what they want and tell you what they want, true or not true. But I'm looking for a new long distance carrier for my home and business accounts. Do I just have a phone company curse or do others have continual problems with their phone companies?

So far Sprint is a disaster, AT&T somewhat annoying, MCI wears me out with no customer service but unlimited telemarketing calls at all hours (I recently received 4 identical telemarketing calls from MCI within one week). . ..

One "complainer" to this site used the term "rate rape." Can we as consumers do anything to fight the phone companies and the "rate rape"?? Any thoughts can be emailed to me at jlewis18 AT cox.net.