AOL - AOL - failure to provide local access dialup telephone number resulted in high long distance charges for AOL Internet service

Posted on Thursday, October 3rd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by a080932b

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

I need your help. I am looking for people that have subscribed to AOL, that were unknowingly dialing through a long distance access number, because AOL failed to provide a local access number in their area to get on-line, resulting in getting very high long distance phone bills.

There is a Class Action Law Suit in progress against AOL right now, that is charging AOL of offering free services to customers. AOL does this knowing that they don't have local access numbers to connect to for all subscribers, resulting in many consumers calling into a long distance access number without knowing it until the huge long distance Phone Bill come in.

The following has happened to my daughter, Stacy Sisson. She bought her new computer on August 1st, signed up with AOL on August 1st, because they were offering "6 months free unlimited internet service" with the purchase of the computer.

She questioned the list of dial up access numbers, because there was not one that was local, and so she called AOL, immediately to see what she needed to do. They told her to choose the phone number in the town that was closest to her.

She asked them, "Are you sure I won't have any long distant charges on my phone bill?" They reassured her that she wouldn't. I might add, she called many other times since she has been signed up with AOL, just to make sure she would not have any long distance charges. Now for the results, Stacy gets a phone call on Sept. 24th, from South Western Bell Telephone, letting her know that her long distance phone bill is $1700.00 for the month!!!

And this amount is just the results of being on-line from dates August 1 - Sept. 2. Now, the amount totalling from Sept. 3 through Sept. 23 is approximately another $900.00 as a result of being on- line !!! This is a total of $2600.00 in long distant charges, because AOL failed to provide a local access number in my daughter's area, which is Madill, Oklahoma.

So, if this has happened to you, or you know of anyone that it has happened to, please contact me, as soon as possible. My name is Jeannie Rogers and you can either call me at 505-628-0708 or email me at [email protected]

We need to spread the word and try to keep this from happening to any more innocent people.

This is a quote from Lance Harke, one of the lawyers from Miami, Florida, that is handling The Class Action Law Suit against AOL. "We believe there are hundreds of thousands of consumers affected by this." "It's a real example of people getting mislead by a very large company that doesn't really care about their situations."

Please help me get the word out and to find others that have already been affected by AOL failing to provide a local access number, resulting in very High Long Distant Phone Bills.

Thanks For All You Help In This Matter,