Jeep - 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee - charged $ 495 for new air bag computer and $ 186 for new clock spring - still unable to fix the air bag warning light activation and chime from going off

Posted on Friday, October 11th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 0dd6c810

Product: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Company: Jeep

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

Dear Consumer Reports:

I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 79,000 miles on it. I have owned this vehicle since it was new and am the sole driver of it. On September 29 the "Air Bag" warning light and chime suddenly went on for no apparent reason. This vehicle has never been in an accident. The warning light and accompanying chime continued to go on and off intermittently. My Jeep Dealer corrected this situation by replacing the "Air Bag Computer" and charged me $495 for this work even though I have an extended Chrysler warrantee.

Two days later this problem started again. This time the dealer replaced a "clock spring" and charged me $186 for this repair. I contacted Chrysler Customer Service who basically said too bad and offered no relief. I don't feel I should be financially responsible for a safety item that I have no control over. I could have very easily disconnected the chime and saved myself $600. I will be in the market for a new vehicle soon. I will certainly "listen" to your advice and look closely at the Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander. Sincerely,

Larry

86810c01, 2009-01-17, 03:36PM CST

Chrysler has bad customer service and even worse is their worthless ripp off service department.

A year ago I stepped on my jeep remote and broke it, I ordered the same exact one with the same id numbers and everything (Identical) from e-bay for $5, I went to the dealer and left it there with my car to be programed, when I came back I was told that the remote was no good and they decided to program a new one for me for $125 WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, like an idiot I paid for it and left, after leaving I realized how upset I was, not for paying the $125(which I may have excepted to pay if I was asked for permission in advance)but for the unwanted surprise.

I called the so called customer service and explained the whole situation,their answer was you paid for it so it's yours, in a way they were right(I was the idiot who let them impose it on me)but come on that was no t the way to talk to a customer.

I for some reason decided to take the remote I bought from ebay and go to another dealer, and this time I decided to be dishonest, I did not mention ebay,I just said that I changed the batteries on my remote and for some reason it's not working anymore, they checked it and said that it needs to be reprogramed, guess what, $15 only.

I went back with the invoice to the first dealer who refused to even look at it, but thank god for small courts my sweet revenge was taken.

Sincerely,