2001 Chrysler Sebring - transmission failed at 68,000 miles

Company: 2001 Chrysler Sebring - transmission failed at 68,000 miles

From:

RE: 2001 Chrysler Sebring - transmission failed at 68,000 miles

Chrysler Sebring 2001 Transmission failed 68,000

I also purchased an extended warranty after advise from Shelby motors finance department, because I purchsed 30 days before the 7/70,000 Warranty went into effect, I was told BUY the extended and it will cover you to 70,000. well...of course it does not cover. In my problems I have also discovered that Chrysler transmissions are on national backorder but they dont have a problem?

After waiting a week to find a new one, (rebuilts are not available, national backorder also!) And after Shelby motors could not help me and totally dismissed me to another dealer (who replaced it for me) My cost was 2700.00 for transmission 980.00 on useless warranty and lost wages from work while waiting to find a unit!!!!

This is amazing that they still say there is no problem, I do not know of any other company that offers a larger warranty on rebuilt than new,,,,check this out,,,,,new transmissions from chrysler (if you can get one) only offer a 10,000. mile warranty, if you can buy a used rebuilt one from them they offer a 36,000. mile warranty? Thats standing behind your product!!!!!

I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product or deal with Shelby motors in north carolina again, this was the worst dealership in my experience and opinion and the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I am not dropping this issue so anyone else who has had problems like I have please forward complaints to me and I will use them in my futher pursuant of my claim!

73b822a2, 2007-12-02, 08:56PM CST

I will also NEVER buy another Chrysler product again. I bought a used '01 Sebring with 98,000 miles on it. Two weeks, and 1,000 miles later it threw a rod and the engine had to be replaced. After looking this problem up on the web I've found that it's pretty common. The vehicle now has 130,000 miles on it and I have had to replace the fuel pump, the crank sensor, and the timing chain...I HATE THIS CAR...Now the transmission is going. I hope that people read things like this before buying one themselves, I sure as hell wish I did.

eb0dd0d4, 2008-01-06, 07:03PM CST

2001 Chrysler Sebring LX Sedan, The automatic transmission failed at 50,524 miles today January 6 2008. There was a whine coming from the front, I stopped at a Stop sign(1.7miles from home) & started to go again, the transmission slipped, then it engaged again(I thought everything was OK). I turned around in a parking lot(1.75 miles) to return home then the tranny had nothing as if I was in nuetral. Then the tranny engaged again & I proceded on my way home with my pregnant wife & 5 year old daugther. When I stopped again to make a left across a 4 lane road(.75 miles from home), I got nothing as if I was in nuetral aggain & NOTHING! I jumped out & stopped traffic & told my wife to steer & I pushed the car into a gas station parking lot. Had it towed to the Chrysler where I purchased. I will find the verdict on Monday. This is my complaint. Patiently waiting

9c5c050e, 2008-06-16, 09:23AM CDT

You just got hosed buy a crooked dealer. The trans may or may not have been bad but it should have been covered by warranty. A call to the area rep for warranty claims should have resulted in no charge to you. The dealer should have done this for you. The exteneded warranty should also have covered the transmission. Always read the fine print on warranties. The failure rate on these transmissions is low. Dealers and garages sell lots of transmission jobs to unknowing customers because they can get away with it.

0def42c4, 2008-07-26, 11:32AM CDT

I have owned 3 Chrysler Sebrings, a 97', 98'coupe and currently a 2001 coupe. i can tell you this the engines are typically great never had issues in any three. But all three had to have transmissons replaced. let me tell you about the latest investment the 2001. V6.. this tranmission is like finding where's waldo.. no joke.. and to buy one new is $5500, so I naturally thought I'll buy rebuild book and do the thing myself.. well all was good but that's not my point the F4a51-2 (mitsubishi/hyundai) transmissions break a wave spring located in front on the low/reverse brake piston deep inside tranny... not too bad, cheap part really.. but the damn comapany had a serious flaw in the manufacturing in the fluid filter.. it's worthless.. the 2" peices of spring went right through the whole damn tranny and into the pump and torque converter.. thats a $600 repair job not included the replacement seals or clutch's.. so let me emphasize i love these cars but don't buy them expecting to rip down the road like a ford or chevy the transmissions are Extremly weak in all these models reguardless a PT cruiser or a Mitsubishi Eclipse.. they all use the same tranny's A604 or F4A series.. google this and see the pics foryourself written by the guys that write repair manuals for them.. and everyother transmission available.. type this in google.. 08_05 shift...

91fda16e, 2009-11-17, 11:57AM CST

I had a 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXi coupe. The transmission went just after turning 100000 miles. It's the second Chrysler that I had with a bad transmission. Replaced the first. Not interested in investing money in this one. I owe over $3000 on it. I'll take the loss. HATE Chryslers!!!!

93b4aa9f, 2010-02-11, 01:04PM CST

my daughter bought a 2001 model seabring and the spring broke on her transmission and did $760 worth in damage and was told by the transmission man that the transmissions were on the watched list by chrysler

17ea09ad, 2010-07-29, 05:16PM CDT

I bought a brand new 2002 chrysler sebring. During the first 30 days i had to have work done on the car. I had to repetitively get work from the cooling and heating system,to engine,pulley and chain, and hoses replaced over and over again. I dont have all the specifics with me right now. But it was a ride. The care came with a 7 year 100,000 mile warrranty. I thought that was great, only to realize that that was not enough. I didnt care to much that the care was in the shop at least 2 to 3 times a year until the warranty ran out and I had to pay thousands of dollars for engine work repetitively. I rid of that junk and purchased a brand new honda accord no problems at all. By the time I contacted a lawyer the lemon laws, i was too late. Statue of limitations had ran out months prior. Talk about bad luck. I have filed complaints but so far I've gotton no results. This was about 2 years ago. And get this, that car never went to anyone but a chrysler dealer for work and when I traded it in to honda the car fax report ( i believe thats the name of it) was clean. Good luck to next sucker.

b7fb864d, 2010-08-23, 03:04PM CDT

I purchased a 2002 crysler sebring convertable with a 2.7l v6 and drove it less than 1k miles. The transmission is shot and needs complete rebuild the car has 61,000 miles on it. this car was never abused and is in pristine condition. What a piece of junk.