Posted on Thursday, November 6th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by c71b3fe1

Company: 1998 Subaru Outback - 53,000 miles - timing belt broke - engine destroyed as result

From:

RE: 1998 Subaru Outback - 53,000 miles - timing belt broke - engine destroyed as result

Back in June the timing belt on my 1998 Subaru Outback broke while I was on vacation in South Dakota. The car had only about 53 thousand miles on it and the time; Subaru's own maintenance schedule recommends having the timing belt inspected at 60 thousand miles.

To make matters work, the car's engine was designed so that when the timing belt breaks it can also destroy the engine. This is what happened to me. It cost me 3600 dollars for a new (used) engine and another 400 dollars for a rental car.

I got in touch with Subaru's national headquarters about this and the best they were willing to do was to offer me 500 dollars toward the cost of a new Subaru. I think this offer is extremely unfair. Reliability is supposed to be one of the main selling points for a Subaru. My experience suggests that Subaru is not willing to stand by its products.