Posted on Thursday, November 28th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 4cc40dac

Company: 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - had to replace intake manifold plenum at 80,000 miles

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on November 26, 2002:

From: TJW [[email protected]]

RE: 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - had to replace intake manifold "plenum" at 80,000 miles

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT that I purchased new, had my share of little problems but nothing major till I got about 80,000 miles on the car.One day as I was pulling into my driveway, my engine check light came on, the next morning when I started my car, white smoke came out of my exhaust.

First thing I thought is I blew a head gasket, but when I started calling around to different shops to get bids every mechanic said the same thing, that it was probably the plenum, a plastic intake manifold. Seems funny GM would build something out of plastic that should with stand such heat! It was the plenum, so I had to replace the plenum which cost approximately $500.00.

Three days later I was coming home from work and the car completely stalled with no warning, I tried to restart the car and it had a slight knock once it began to run. From there I towed it to the shop that fixed the plenum thinking they did something wrong, however this was the seventh Pontiac they had replaced a plenum on this year. The next day they pulled the oil pan off and discovered that three bearings had spun and it threw three rods.....the motor was unrepairable.

My estimate came to $2900.00. I asked if there was anything that would have prevented this and the mechanic's response was that there wasn't anything anyone could have done, that it was do to the defective plenum. I called Pontiac and they claimed that there hasn't been any problems to justify helping me pay for the repairs of my car.

The more I look into the problem with these plenum's the more I find out about people having the same situations, but Pontiac won't stand behind there product !!!!

249bdb12, 2011-10-09, 12:05PM CDT

I am having basically the same problem but I have not had the vehicle diagnosed yet. Driving up into the driveway, my car began emitting heavy white smoke and hesitating. Finally. After I parked, The car would not start again until the next day. the car started the next day and after 2 minutest, same heavy white smoke and rocky engine then shutoff. After reading the article above, I'm thinking maybe it's teh same issue? the intake manifold plenum. I wonder how feasible it is to get one from a junk yard just in case it turns into other engine parts failing as well. I think firt I will try the plentum unless I hear other advise from you all