1997 Volkswagen Jetta - power window failure

Company: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta - power window failure

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on November 25, 2002:

From:

RE: 1997 Volkswagen Jetta - power window failure

All one needs to do is surf the Internet ( ie: www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complaint/ )and you'll find complaint after complaint about the famous disappearing window act.

My car has 29K miles. My backseat is normally vacant. The rear passenger window gets lowered and raised perhaps 10 times a year. We are not talking about a high use item. For each windowlift unit repair, the VW dealership charges the modest fee of $287. Not a bad return on the failing of some 50 cent plastic piece that breaks in the door panel. Lisa McGee is a supervisor at VW's custom care center. She can be reached at 1-800-822-8987.

Her street address is 3800 Hamlin Road in Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326. As a loyal VW employee, I feel for her. She unfortunately has her hands tied like most customer care reps. She tells me that VW will not settle this claim. I need to be a responsible consumer and foot my own bill. Are we not dealing with a part that is designed to go up and down for more than 29K miles? Are VW windows designed to have limited life spans so that mechanics have regular work? I have read other claims of windows failing within a 2 year period.

This vehicle and other VW products have the same problem.

It is not isolated to my year and model car. Shouldn't VW acknowledge and address in a professional way their design flaw. Why should customers have to suffer for the lack of concern on the part of VW engineers? A customer service rep at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle (Jennings VW in Glenview,

Illinois) and frequently have to service said piece of #%&@ told me that this is not uncommon and that I should expect the other 3 to break sooner or later.

What am I looking for? For VW to reimburse me the $287 spent repairing their defective design. In addition, I'd like for them to replace the 50 cent plastic supports in the remaining doors before they break and ruin a more costly windowlift unit. Preventive repair will barely cost them anything. It is the least they owe their consumers.

Disgruntled and mislead consumer. Greg Perkins

VW claim number 20388347

156843a1, 2008-06-18, 03:54PM CDT

I have the same problem with my 97 Jetta GLS. I rarely rolled down the back windows and suddenly one day the left rear window started sliding down into the door. When I tried to roll it up using the power window feature I found that this too had failed. A year later the right rear window went down into the door. Since I had already paid a bunch of money to repair my driver side window after the motor broke I wasn't going to pay more to fix these.

Now I had 1 working window in my Jetta and it's the front passenger window.

c67668be, 2010-02-03, 02:12PM CST

i just recently bought a 97 jetta the front passenger door window had just been repared i drove it no more than 50 miles and the rear passenger window broke i never even got a chance to roll it down the drivers side rear window doesnt work because a previous owner stuck a bolt in it to hold it up because it was broke these are the cheapest poorly designed electric windows i have ever seen