Posted on Sunday, November 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 5ee150d0

Company: 1998 Isuzu Amigo - timing belt has broken several times - upset with vehicle quality

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on November 22, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 Isuzu Amigo - timing belt has broken several times - upset with vehicle quality

1998 Isuzu Amigo/Knopf Isuzu Allentown Pa.

In 1998 I purchased a brand new Amigo it had 6 miles (which I put on test driving). This was the worst experience of my life< I like many others assumed that buying a new vehicle was supposed to be exciting, but in fact the day I went to pick up my new Amigo, my father told me to leave it sit on their lot, and walk. I wanted my little truck so bad so I signed, and I've since regretted making every payment, which I'm still doing.

So after a horrible buying experience with Knopf Isuzu in Allentown Pa. I figured once I left I wouldn't have to deal with them, I was wrong I drove to a friend's house to show off my new truck and she noticed my broken tail light, not to mention my truck was filthy, fingerprints on the sunroof, mud on the glove compartment, bird droppings on the hood, just not the way a new vehicle should be. She told me to call Knopf right away, I did they said they would fix my tail light, and clean it for me, I agreed to bring it back the following morning.

When I arrived I was told by the salesman that he broke my light when he put the plate on, but wanted me to give them a good review so they could continue getting their inventory. I left with my truck. In August of 2000 the timing belt broke, prematurely as Isuzu says the belts should go 100,000-120,000 miles but should be checked around 80,000 my Amigo had less than 60,000, so luckily I was still under powertrain warranty. I still had to argue with Isuzu to fix it because there was so much damage it needed a whole new engine. Finally after numerous phone calls and letters to customer relations Isuzu put a new engine in.

The day I picked it up as I was driving home it was stalling and bucking, so I immediately called Glansman Isuzu (where the work was done) They said I needed to take it to a dealership, I took it to Knopf they said I had they the wrong spark plugs in it. I explained I didn't have the wrong anything in it, Glansman Isuzu just had it for nearly a month.

They fixed it, Now another two years later, the timing belt has broken again, with only 50,000 miles on the engine this time, and Isuzu is refusing to help me at all, and there is an open recall on the belts. Their so called customer relations is a joke. If anyone can help me please let me know. My email is COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_39672#