Posted on Wednesday, November 20th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 89eb73d5

Company: 2001 Cadillac DeVille - told by Cadillac that it's not excessive for the car to burn one quart of oil every 3,000 miles

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on November 18, 2002:

From:

RE: 2001 Cadillac DeVille - told by Cadillac that it's not excessive for the car to burn one quart of oil every 3,000 miles

I purchased a new Cadillac DeVille on September, 19, 2001. Its vin # is 1G6KD54YX2U125841. I have had the vehicle serviced at regular intervals; however, since the last oil service, I have had to add two extra quarts of oil between oil changes (3,000 miles) and I believe this to be excessive oil consumption. I brought this excessive oil usage to the service manager at Vallee and Bowe Inc., Woodbury, New Jersey-A Cadillac/Oldsmobile agency.

He showed me Document ID #785792 Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines #01-06-01-011. It states that it is NOT unreasonable for the Cadillac to use an extra quart of oil every (3200km) 2,000 miles. I find this to be outrageous!! Because I have owned many other new vehicles over the years and none of them came close to the oil waste of this car. I also referred this matter to the Cadillac Assistance Center, P.O. Box 33169 Detroit, and MI. 48232-5169. The contact person was: Alex Nair, Customer Relationship Manager. He gave me the same diatribe as the guidelines. Therefore, speaking on a waste management matter, I strongly believe that General motors and the Cadillac Division has, by producing the oil consumption guidelines, overtly or covertly acknowledged that a deficiency exists with the Cadillac but refuses to remediate the situation. Let us understand a simple truth---if a Cadillac is to use an extra quart of oil every 2,000 miles, then over the lifetime of the vehicle (150,000+miles) one would use approximately ONE EXTRA BARREL OF REFINED OIL. I ask you, does this sound reasonable to you???

Then multiple this one barrel of refined oil by the millions of vehicles General Motors produces each year and I believe that millions even billions of barrels of crude oil is wasted each year by this company alone. Can we stand such waste in this or any industry in our nation? I would greatly appreciate any influence that you may use in resolving this matter. I believe it is correctable but only if you exert the necessary influence in the remediation of this matter Respectfully Edwin C. Reeves

c5c9d9ad, 2009-02-23, 07:17AM CST

Ive never looked at it that way before, you do have a very good point. I also own a 2001 Cadillac DeVille with 49000 miles on it. I get the oil changed at my local GM dealer every 3000 miles and the car uses a quart every 1000 miles. Now I have never belived in small cars, especially being that this is my first car. there is no reason at all why they cant fix this BIG problem! My grandfather has a 2006 Cadillac DTS with the 4.6L Northstar engine and as far as I know it also uses a quart or so every 1000 Mi.