Harley-Davidson - Harley-Davidson, HWY 75, Allen, TX - zipper broke one week following shoe purchase - told that without receipt, store couldn't exchange shoes

Posted on Tuesday, November 12th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by db15377a

Company: Harley-Davidson

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

Harley-Davidson is not accepting eMails at this time. I recently took my little brother to purchase some shoes at a Harley-Davidson store located in Allen, TX off of HWY 75. A week later, the zipper on the shoes got stuck and wouldn't work properly no matter what. We took the shoes back to the store and only asked for an even exchange. We did not have the receipt with us but the cashier did recall selling the shoes to us a week before.

The reason for not having the receipt is honestly we didn't expect the zipper on one of the shoes to get stuck. My little brother is unable to speak, hear and is partially paralyzed on the right side due to a stroke. This made it hard for us to explain to him that we needed the receipt to return the shoes. He finally understood and looked all over the house for it but was unable to find it.

The cashier at the Harley store went to her manager and after making us wait about 10 minutes she came back with the manager in tow only to give us some bad news. The news being that without the receipt there was nothing she could do. We understand that...but my little brother doesn't.

But what I don't understand is IF the cashier remembered selling the shoes to us the week before why didn't that work towards our credibility? The manager said she needed the receipt in order to let the manufacturer know the date of purchase of the shoe. This just didn't seem right to me. Nonetheless we walked out of there without causing a scene. The bad thing is

my little brother paid about $150. for these Harley shoes that made him walk a little better and is still using them even though one has a broken zipper. I know the store makes boohoos of money selling bigger things than just a pair of shoes. But they have to think about the little people here. My little brother wants us to take him to purchase a Harley jacket at the store. Are we going to take him there or to any other Harley store? NO. S. Rios

Dallas, TX

802c45d9, 2008-09-02, 06:38PM CDT

This is why you don't buy something just because of the logo. If you do buy for the logo make sure it is not the HD logo. This is why Harley its self has the saying "If we built airplanes no one would fly!!!"

0fdecf6e, 2009-08-13, 11:48AM CDT

Obviously you've never worked retail, whether you bought the shoes there or not you must produce a reciept for HD Dallas to be able to warranty the shoes. Without a receipt they are basically giving you a free pair of shoes because they would not be reimbursed for the defective pair. Do you not shop, I hate when people put the responsibility on everyone else, no one expects their purchases to be defective but it's YOUR responsibility as the consumer to retain records, not the store!!

6d4f264d, 2009-08-13, 11:50AM CDT

Obviously you've never worked retail, whether you bought the shoes there or not you must produce a reciept for HD Dallas to be able to warranty the shoes. Without a receipt they are basically giving you a free pair of shoes because they would not be reimbursed for the defective pair. Do you not shop, I hate when people put the responsibility on everyone else, no one expects their purchases to be defective but it's YOUR responsibility as the consumer to retain records, not the store's!!