Posted on Monday, November 11th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 713c99bb

Company: 2000 Suburu Legacy Wagon - 87,000 miles and must replace 2 head gaskets and a timing belt

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on November 9, 2002:

From:

RE: 2000 Suburu Legacy Wagon - 87,000 miles and must replace 2 head gaskets and a timing belt

1) When Frank at New Country Subaru told me how much it would cost to fix my car, I exclaimed in shock, "one thousand dollars???" At no point in time did he correct me and say, "no that's sixteen hundred and sixty eight dollars."

Frank believes I misheard him over the telephone and I am suspicious. I remember my response, and he did not correct me. I have checked with other garages and know that the vicinity of $1,000 is the going rate to replace 2 head gaskets and a timing belt.

In fact, other garages said that a new water pump would have been included in the cost of repair. Frank did not replace my water pump. I have a feeling that in a few weeks, my water pump is going to not work, and Frank will expect me to bring it in, and charge me not only for the part, but the labor.

I also have a feeling that other things will go wrong, because Frank told me they damaged a coil during the repair. If the mechanics were careless enough to damage a coil, what else did they damage? 2) The car is a 2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon with 87,000 miles. Frank said I needed to replace two Head Gaskets, and the timing belt. I asked Frank why I purchased a Subaru if it can't handle the mileage? My 1994 Neon at 83,000 miles cost half the price of the Subaru and gave me minimal problems.

Subaru advertises that their cars can handle high mileage. I feel Subaru is falsely advertising. I have had to replace fuel injectors and now head gaskets. And Frank thinks there is nothing wrong with that.

ee3282d1, 2009-02-12, 01:41PM CST

87,000 miles...you are lucky.....Mine has 53,000 miles with 90 percent highway miles....

9a775175, 2010-10-14, 08:27AM CDT

my son has a 98 outback legacy that has a 98 outback legacy that has had a head gasket fuel pump and fuel filter replaced and the car still wont run we are 90 plus miles from. a subaru dealership and towing will be consideralble but the vehicle is still unreliable and will not start after stalling. it looks like i will have to junk the car, the next one will not be a subaru