AOL - AOL - tried to cancel service - ended up getting put on yearly price plan and billed extra

Posted on Saturday, November 2nd, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 25791e6d

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

I was a AOL member for seven months. The plan I had selected was the monthly unlimited usage for $23.90 per month. This amount was to be deducted from my debit card which they allowed me to use as a visa. At the end of the seventh month I called to cancel my membership to AOL for a variety of reasons. First I got online to check out the different price plans to see if there was another I would like. There was not so I decided I was going to go ahead and cancel.

I called five days prior to my bill date to cancel my account. I was told the computer systems were down but they were able to take all my information over the phone and send me a confirmation number in the mail within 7 business days.

A day after my bill date I called to confirm the cancellation and the customer service rep. informed me that I had not been cancelled instead the computer was showing that I had switched to the yearly plan. I told her there was probably a misunderstanding which she agreed to and she went ahead and canceled my membership. I asked her if I would still be billed and she told me that I should not be billed and if I was they could refund it within 12-24 hours.

Five days after my bill date I was charged $239.40. I called to get the issue resolved and was told it could take up to 33 days. First (they said) I would need to change my plan back to the monthly plan and then they would refund me the money and it would take 30 days to get the change of plan and up to three days to get my refund.

I no longer even have a computer yet I am still being charged internet service. I would not have been as bothered if it was 23.90 but the amount I was charged is RIDICULOUS!! I spoke to a manager who was rude and couldn't even get his story straight.

We went in circles about the policies and in the end nothing was resolved. I was told by several people after this incident that they also had many problems with AOL charging them for services that were not used. So in conclusion BEWARE OF AOL! They will swipe you for every penny possible!