2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL - 2001 Volkswagon Jetta GL power windows broken, gas cap broken, brakes scraping

Posted on Monday, November 26th, 2001 at 12:00am CST by 654ec7e7

Company: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

To Whom It May Concern: I purchased a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL in Feb, 01. The car has turned out to be a lemon. Since I have had this car, the power windows have malfunctioned on several occasions, the automatic gas cap has broken several times (after supposedly being fixed), and all the speakers but one have blown, and most recently the brakes pads have worn down and are scraping.

The crux of my argument and what has brought my relationship with the dealer to such an unfriendly place is that within the last week or so, my brakes had begun scraping. I made an appointment with the dealer for Saturday, December 1 to have them looked at, however, they began scraping so bad that I took the car in to the service dept. today, November 24. I was informed by the Service Advisor, David Fulmer, that my brakes were no longer covered by the warranty, and thus I was going to be charged $100.00 for the brakes to be fixed. Herein lies the problem.

The warranty states that the brakes are covered by a 12,000 mile/1 year warranty period. The service warranty on the car (provided by VW) states that my car is to come in for regular service intervals at 5,000 miles, 10,000 miles, and next at 20,000 miles. My car was brought in at these service intervals most recently at the 10,000 mile interval. The problem is that my brakes were not checked at this interval.

The General Manager (Steve Lelich) and the Service Advisor (David Fulmer) both stated to me that the brakes were not part of the service provided by VW at the 5,000 mile or 10,000 mile interval, however, in the same breath, the Service Advisor stated that it was common for brakes to go bad as early as 10,000 miles on a new vehicle. Although in the Maintenance Schedule provided by Imports By Day specifically, it states that a "Brake System Check" be done at 10,000 miles, so what this is saying to me is that they checked my brakes at 10,000 miles, and that the brake pads were just fine, then in the course of the next 2,600 miles, the brakes went from fine to scraping.

He stated that the only way the dealer would check the brakes is if the customer complained or requested that the brakes be checked, which is contrary to the Maintenance Schedule provided to me, but why would the customer insist that the brakes be checked if they are functioning correctly?

In part, it is my fault because I assumed when I took the vehicle in for my service checks, the brakes were being checked. I assumed that VW was an honest, reputable company. However, when I reviewed my own service manual, it states the brakes do not get checked until the 20,000 mile interval, which by then you are out of the warranty period. If the Service Advisor as well as the General Manager are aware, (as stated to me in Steve's office), that it is a common practice for the brake pads to wear down around 10,000 miles, then why would they not check the pads for wear at the 10,000 mile service interval? The General Manager stated to me, "Who is supposed to pay for my technicians to check your brakes if it is not stated so in the warranty?". My answer to that would be my lease payment, I pay for a lease, which means to me I should have very few headaches with this car, however, my experience has been to the contrary.

I would also like to comment on the attitudes of the both David Fulmer and Steve Lelich. When I first came to the dealer after finding out that the brake pads were not covered, I asked to speak to the Service Manager, I was told he was off until Monday. Now, when you drive a vehicle and the pads are scraping metal on metal, you run the risk of wearing down the rotors, so now instead of a $100.00 brake job, you are up to a $300.00 brake job. I was then told to speak to the Manager, Steve Lelich.

I went to his office and he told me, "I am busy, come back in a few minutes", and at this time he was in the office by himself. When I came back to knock on his door, him and another salesman were discussing the "new look" of the Audi's. I guess this conversation was more important than mine. At this time I invited myself into his office and a heated debate ensued. The General Manager said that the dealer would, "Go out of business", if they made exceptions like this all of the time and that he would have to wait until Monday to check with Corporate Headquarters before any action could be taken.

To frame this into a better context, the dealer was not willing to assume the cost of a $100.00 brake job, on a vehicle that was nine months old, with 12,763 miles on it (700 miles out of the warranty), but minus the fact that I purchased the vehicle as a demo, and it already had about 300 miles on it.

What happened following the conversation in the office should not have happened. First of all, I would like to extend an apology to Mr. Lelich for using profanity when speaking to him. I followed David Fulmer back to the Service Area where I asked him to please document the reasons for denying my request, and he did, then he threw the piece of paper on the floor at my feet. That is the point at which I lost my temper. I went back to the General Managers office, barged in, and demanded a business card so I could include him in my complaint. He then said something else to me and I told him to "Shut the $%$* up", grabbed a business card, and left.

So this is my complaint, and I hope a resolution can be reached soon. I realize that a resolution will not be reached before I have already paid for my brake pads to be replaced, and thus I will have assumed that cost nonetheless. I am a senior at the University of Pittsburgh, and my spouse is a recent graduate from the School Of Law, so $100.00 is not easy to come by at this particular point.