2000 Mitsubishi Galant - sunroof suddenly exploded while driving vehicle

Posted on Thursday, May 9th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by a1c62cc6

Company: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant - sunroof suddenly exploded while driving vehicle

# 10 for May 8, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on May 7, 2002:

From: Gina George [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_28772#]

RE: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant - sunroof suddenly exploded while driving vehicle

My husband has a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant. This past Friday, May 3, 2002, he was driving on the 5 freeway southbound at approximately 65 mph when the sunroof suddenly exploded. The glass completely shattered and blew outward, so we know something did not hit the sunroof from the outside.

He immediately drove to Tuttle Click Mitsubishi and was told that they had never seen such a thing happen and that since it was "an act of God," that it would not be covered under warranty.

When my husband contacted our auto insurance agent, he said that this situation has happened before. I feel that this is a defect in the workmanship of the vehicle. Gina George

91449af3, 2009-01-25, 10:36AM CST

I just read this comment. And now forwarding to 2009. I have a Mitsubishi Outlander 2009 for 2 months only and while i to was driving on NJ parkway 65mph my sunroof suuddenly exploded. I too was told by both the dealers and the Manufacturer of Mitsubishi that this is not under warranty and my problem to fix. And they told me I would have to go through my ins carrier. So I wrote to BBB and reported them and wrote to all the local news channels to seek help. I can not understand how the Manufacturer can't see this as a defect. I am fighting all the way tooth and nail to get what is deserved to me and to put the word out there for others to see how Mitsubishi Motors treats their loyal customers.