1993 Dodge Grand Caravan - paint peeling

# 18 for May 30, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on May 29, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_27139#

RE: 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan - paint peeling

Hi, I have a 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan which I purchased as the second owner last year. A few months after purchasing, the paint began to peel and is now doing so quite rapidly. My family has several Dodge's most of them are caravans which all are less then 12 years old and are all starting to peel the same way, I have also noticed several others within the 1990 to 1995 range that are peeling. I went to a paint shop in town, the man there informed us that the problem was a defect with Dodge, he had several that had been sent to him, Dodge was paying for the extra work, because the roof and hoods had to be sanded completly, re-primered and then painted, this work ends up being about $200 extra, if this work is not done then the paint job will not be covered under any type of warrenty. He then suggested contacting Dodge. I contacted Dodge dealership via toll free customer service number and after a lenghty conversation the representive she admitted it was a defect and thats when I explained I just was inquiring if they could pay for the "extra work" that had to be done because of this defect, becuase its not my fault that their vehicles have a defect that should not cost me extra money.

then she asked me several questions, Did you buy this Dodge new from one of our dealerships? answer "no" then the second is the Dodge more then 3 years old? answer "yes" does this Dodge have over 36,000 miles on it? answer "yes" After that she spoke with her supervisor and came back with a " we are sorry but we can not be of any assistance to you because you didn't purchase this from a Dodge dealership, new. The vehicle is over the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warrenty. I will not be buying any Dodge or affliated companies vehicle ever again, new or used.

Dodge doesn't stand behind its work; they will acknowledge that the problem is a defect and their at fault, but they will then tell you they are not going to help you or worry about it in any way. I will be starting a Dodge complaint website soon. For others who have Dodges that are 1990 and above that are effected by this defect or others, that Dodge is not helping. Sincerely,

LC