BAILEY'S POWERHOUSE GYM - BAILEY'S POWERHOUSE GYMS of Jacksonville, FL - cancellation trouble

Posted on Thursday, May 30th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 8051992b

Company: BAILEY'S POWERHOUSE GYM

Location: JACKSONVILLE, FL, US

Category: Sports, Recreation

My complaint is against BAILEY'S POWERHOUSE GYMS of Jacksonville, Fl. They not only insulted me but, in my opinion, proceded to rip me off. Having recently retired, on December 9, 1997 I signed a 1 yr. contract with this gym They REQUIRED a monthly debit from my bank account, which I signed (I will never do that again, as it is an invitation to be robbed). I was given a regular old-fashioned key and was told that this would enable me to enter the facility whenever I wanted. The first time I attempted to use the facility (2 days after signing up), the key would not open the door. It was a cold and rainy day and there was no one in the office to assist me. I realized that if I had this much trouble on the first day that this was not the facility I needed.

Since I was within the 3 day cancellation period, I immediately went home and typed up a letter canceling my membership. I, along with a friend, went to Bailey's and I personally gave the letter to the person at the desk (who happened to have been the man that signed me up)and returned the key that I had been given. He took me outside to try the key and it worked for him. He proceeded to sarcastically tell me that I needed to "GET A LIFE".

Despite his rudeness, I left the letter and key, with the understanding that my membership had been cancelled. Four years later, I find out that BAILEY'S GYMS has been debiting my account for $26.75 a month! I, of course, first tried to resolve this with BAILEY'S GYM, to no avail. During my complaint to the Better

Business Bureau, I was advised by "Mike" at BAILEY'S GYMS that they have not used an old-fashioned key since early 1998.

Since early 1998, members were given a card key for entry ( yet, I had returned the old fashioned key when I canceled my membership AND BAILEY'S GYM HAD NEVER SENT ME A NEW CARD KEY NOR NOTIFIED ME THAT I NEEDED SUCH A KEY TO USE THE FACILITIES!). I had never attempted to use their facility, since I thought my membership had been canceled; but even if I had thought I was a member, I couldn't have used the facility because they had never provided me a key! Needless to say, I feel that BAILEY'S GYM has robbed me.