AOL - AOL 1) unable to cancel account on cancelled phone line 2) billed after free trial cancellation

Posted on Sunday, May 26th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by a66de67a

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Today I received my Bell South phone bill and noticed an charge of $28.90 for AOL service that I had not authorized. After 48min on the phone and conversations with at least 3 different AOL operators I learned that someone (my teenage daughter who does not live at home) had given permission from my phone to open an account saying that she had authorization to attach charges to my phone.

I had moved the month that the account in question the phone number associated with the account was only activated for 1/2 the month and there was no activity on AOL account. Not only did AOL refuse to adjust the bill, they also refused to cancel the account saying that I would need to call from the phone number in question to cancel and that because the phone number was disconnected they were unable to prove that I had authority to cancel the account.

So, I have now been charged two months for an AOL account that I did not open and will continue to be charged because they will not let me cancel. This is my second absurdly negative dealings with AOL. The first took place approximately one year ago when I signed up for their free trail offer. At the end of the offer I cancelled the service but noticed two months later that I was again being charged. After lengthy phone conversations with AOL I learned that a closed trail account will automatically be reopened as an active paying membership if the icon is clicked on within a month (maybe two) of cancellation of service.

What apparently happened was that I had company who clicked on the AOL icon not realizing that I had cancelled the account and by doing so reactivated the account. I ended up paying two months of service that I did not want or request. The combination of these two very negative interactions with AOL have resulted in approximately $100.00 of money spent on AOL service that I neither want or use. I am disgusted beyond belief at their tactics for billing unsuspecting customers. This is by far the worst company I have ever had any dealings with. -Edie