Verizon DSL - it cost $ 9.97 to cancel DSL service and return DSL kit

# 8 for May 16, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on May 15, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_27473#

RE: Verizon DSL - it cost $ 9.97 to cancel DSL service and return DSL kit

I called for DSL service on May 2, 2002, and canceled it on May 3, 2002. I spoke with "jeffrey" and he assured me he'd cancel my order and credit my visa the $49.99 they had charged me to sign up. However , today, 10 days after I cancelled, the DSL kit arrived via air express!!!! When I called DSL they kept transferring me to different people.

I finally ended up speaking with the warehouse and they checked and said, " oh yes you did cancel, now all you have to do is return the kit or else we will charge you $99.00 . I tried to tell them it was their error and that I wanted the kit picked up.

They said" oh no we don't do that, it is your responsibility to return it". I asked who was going to re-emburse me the postage and again he replied, " it was my responsibility"!!!!!!! I am a senior citizen in my seventies, and I had to take the kit to the post office and return it insured!!

It cost me $9.97 to correct the DSL error. If air express had rung my bell when they left the package on my stoop, in the rain, I could have refused it then. I feel this is an injustice and certainly not the way to encourage new customerd.