1995 Nissan Maxima - 1995 Nissan Maxima purchase - from a Nissan Dealership in North Long Beach CA - no registration

Posted on Thursday, May 16th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 2025b4aa

Company: 1995 Nissan Maxima

Category: Stores, Shopping

To Whom it May Concern:

This is a rather lengthy complaint and I will try as best I can to be succinct.

In August of 1998 we purchased a 1995 Nissan Maxima from a Nissan Dealership in North Long Beach CA. We wrote a check in the amount of over $17,000.00 and at that time the saleman told us that the car had just come in that day and they had not yet had the time to get all the paperwork done, yet they let us take the car home. My husband the following day took them a check for the total amount ( We have that cancelled check and a receipt for the amount)

They told us that they did not have the pink slip and that they would call us when it came in. We left on a vacation the next week and after that I had to have a back surgery. All in all time went by and we had a temporary registration for the car. I then called the dealer because we had not heard from them and no pink slip was in the mail . When we called rhey had gone out of business and filed a bankruptcy. No one could find any information of where the Dealer went to and I therefore was in for a big ball of trouble. We reported it to the DMV.

They gave us a person who kept giving us temporary reg. and in the meantime I did a lot of hunting myself and found out that the Car had a lien on it as the person who the car had belonged to previously had a loan outstanding with a Bank. They too were victims. I contacted a Lawyer and was told that it would cost me over 5,000.00 to go to court.

So I have now a nice car that I cannot drive due to no registration and it sits in my garage. I checked the current blue book and with fair condition it is approximately worth in value for a trade in about $4500.00 + I did everything in the world to try to get to the bottom of this so I could at least drive the car. The DMV investigator told us that he filed papers to the Sacramento DMV office and I have heard nothing back.

I tried to talk to the Lawyer that was handling the case for the Loan Company and they would not reply.I am really hoping that your offices might be able to point me in a direction to try and resolve this big problem.

Sincerely, Mary Alice and Robert J.