Posted on Wednesday, May 15th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 0f8876e2

Company: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. - tire blew out at freeway speed - dealer would not replace tire

# 37 for May 14, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on May 13, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_28616#

RE: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. - tire blew out at freeway speed - dealer would not replace tire

My complaint is about Goodyear tire and rubber company. I purchased tires new about 6 months ago. Driving at freeway speed one blew out (yes litterly came apart) I took the tire back to the dealer and they would not replace it ....saying it was my fault for driving on a flat. I cant understand how i can drive on a flat at 70 mph .

I e mailed goodyear and they told me it was garenteed against meterials and workmanship (which i believe is a defective tire) for 1 year but the dealer wont replace it or give me back my money. If i would have had an SUV i would have flipped over. Im angry because i drive a caddilac and i spent a lot of money on these tires, and goodyear is all talk and no better than firestone in my opinion.

Thank you for listening to me.

Sincerely, Mike W.

691c71d6, 2008-12-31, 04:21PM CST

I had the same experience with Dodge Chrysler Lithia of Helena (MT) I took my flat tire in after it went flat. There was sidewall seperation on the flat tire as well as another tire. on the vehicle causing bubbling of sidewall. The service technician stated they were not a Goodyear dealer (must've been giving away all those goodyear tires they had displayed) and said I would need to go to an authorized Goodyear dealer. When I complained to Lithia corporate I received a call from the service manager who stated they were a Goodyear dealer and had determined the flat was caused by a road hazard, although the leak in the tire was caused by a nail puncture in the tread. When I pointed out that another tire was experiencing the same defect he stated that I must have hit a pot hole or something with both tires. He did agree to mount and install any tires that I can get from Goodyear...how generous.

I am working with another Goodyear dealer and Goodyear Corporate to resolve the issue. They have been responsive and I will see if they stand behind their products, as Lithia Motors has not.