Don Jacobs Subaru - Don Jacobs Subaru, Milwaukee (Waukesha) WI - consumer felt mislead about car purchase

Posted on Sunday, May 12th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 04e65bac

Company: Don Jacobs Subaru

Location: MILWAUKEE, WI

Category: Stores, Shopping

My complaint is that I feel I was grossly mislead by salesperson Robert Fonteine at Don Jacobs Subaru in Waukesha, Wisconsin. I was told I was purchasing a vehicle with a 2.2 liter engine in it, but it actually turns out it has a 1.8 liter engine. I paid the price of a car with the bigger engine and did not get it.

I purchased my used 1995 Subaru Impreza L Coupe from Don Jacobs Subaru in Waukesha, Wisconsin on February 13,2001. I worked with salesperson Robert Fonteine. He pointed out the car to me and told me they had just taken it in on a trade-in the day before. As a result, the car was not even on the lot yet - it still needed to be safety checked and there was no window sticker (Wisconsin Dealer Information Disclosure) on it yet.

I test drove the car and over the course of the next week or so looked at other cars at other dealers. I decided to purchase the Subaru at Don Jacobs but was not so sure about the price, as the Kelley Blue Book listed a dealer price at $7,500. Don Jacobs wanted $8,595. When I asked Mr. Fonteine about the price discreptancy, he told me it was more because the vehicle I was looking at had the larger 2.2 liter engine and All-Wheel drive where the Kelley Blue Book car didn't. I decided to purchase the car for $8,595.00 based on it having the larger engine and AWD. On several occasions both myself and my husband recall Mr. Fonteine referring to the "larger 2.2 liter engine" in the vehicle.

On the delivery date, the car still did not have a window sticker on it. I didn't really think anything of it since they had ported the car for delivery. I signed the paperwork and drove away with my car.

On May 9, 2002 I came to the realization that my vehicle did not have the 2.2L engine the dealer told me it had. I learned of this only because I was replacing a headlamp and happened to look at the manufacturing information plate under the hood. It listed the VIN information, body style, and also the Engine type. The engine type started with the numbers EJ18 - which is a Subaru 1.8 liter engine. I called another local Subaru dealer and they ran the VIN and confimed the car has a 1.8 litre engine.

I called Mr. Mike Harty, Don Jacob's Used Car Manager, and he said that in his copy of the sales paperwork I had signed the Wisconsin Dealer Information Disclosure (window sticker) which had said 1.8L and that since this was legally binding he would not do anything to rectify the problem. I have no copy of this disclosure- I was not given a copy of it by the dealer with my other sales paperwork. On the delivery date, this disclosure was not posted on the vehicle. There are various other sales documents that have a location for the engine type and NONE of them had been filled out.

Other than catching the one small location on the Wisconsin Dealer Information Disclosure, I would have had no other apparent way of knowing that the vehicle did not have the size engine the salesperson told me it had. The only other way to have known was to look under the hood at the manufacturing information, which at the time I would not have known the information about the engine type ( I learned this information about Subaru engine types after I purchased my car and joined an online owner's group).

I feel that the salesperson was purposefully misleading about the vehicles engine size in order to get me to pay more for the car. Although what he did may not necessarily be illegal, it is unethical and is akin to a "bait-and-switch" sort of scam.

I would, therefore, like to be refunded the difference in cost between the 2.2L and the 1.8L engines as per the original factory invoice for the vehicle.

Michelle M.

West Allis, WI 53219

264859e2, 2008-05-14, 03:08PM CDT

This is my comment about Don Jacobs,

I was formerly employed in the bodyshop not a good company to work for and have you seen the license plate frames that Don Jacobs put on their cars they sell.

Those license plate frames say in white writing,Dont wander if you payed to much.

Yes you payed way over price for that car they sold you.

And let me remaind everyone looking for work dont work for Don Jacobs Subaru because they will screw you out of pay and when you go to get your last paycheck they will refuse to give it to you in person and will mail it out to you because its company policy. They can take thier policy and stick it where the sun dont shine.

264859e2, 2008-05-23, 01:08PM CDT

Fred Galten the bodyshop manager is the biggest idiot and worst boss that i have ever worked for. The way he treated me was like being talked to like a child and he always called me Buster and that really got under my skin. And to top it all off my last friday in early may before i left my job for good the guy gave me a big lecture on how to use the customer and employee restroom and that went way to far for me and that point i had it with working for the putz. So i never bothered to show up again that following Monday.I could keep going on about this guy but i will keep it short and sweet.Any Fred Galten payed me under $9.00 and hour and for that kind of money it didnt pay to go in any more.Iam I walked off the job and into a better one with decent and reasonible pay that i can LIVE ON. So Fred Galten I hope you got the oppertunity to read this this,BUSTER