Customer dissatisfaction - OfficeMax.com - Stores, Office Supply - OfficeMax.com customer dissatisfaction

Posted on Friday, May 4th, 2001 at 12:00am CDT by 11c2b3f6

Company: Customer dissatisfaction - OfficeMax.com

Complaints.com received the following e-message on May 3, 2001:

From: Jeremy Kuether [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_27042#]

Sent To: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66471#

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66472#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66473#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_61537#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_64944#

RE: Customer dissatisfaction - OfficeMax.com

Order # 6123672

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you to express my extreme dissatisfaction with OfficeMax.com. On February 19th, 2001, I ordered one unit of a Power Corner Workcenter (Item# 01222251). I was on your web site on that day and noticed a "President's Day Special" in which the price had been reduced from $149.99 to $99.99. The same price was available at the Office Max retail locations. I chose to order from OfficeMax.com due to a $10.00 discount I held and I also wanted to take advantage of your free delivery that OfficeMax.com advertises. Shortly after ordering the item I was informed by Customer Service that it was not in stock, and that all the retail stores in my area only had floor units available which they did not want to sell. I was given the option of cancelling the order. I did not, as this item was a perfect match for what I needed. Since the original backorder, I have checked with Customer Service several times to find out the status of my order. Each time, I was told that it was still on back order. However, with the help of your courteous Customer Service representatives, I was told that there were units available but that they had to be shipped from out-of-state. I indicated that I would like to keep the order open and I would wait for the item to be delivered from out of state. Your Customer Service representative indicated that they would have to charge me a delivery fee of approximately $100 to have the item delivered. I told them I refused to pay that outrageous fee.

I am willing to accept the fact that the item was on backorder. That happens. However, I think it would have been prudent for OfficeMax.com to make sure they had enough stock to meet the demand for an item they had put on sale (this rings of bait and switch to me). What I am not willing to accept is the false boasts of free shipping to your customers. Who in their right mind would pay $100 shipping on an item that was purchased for $97? OfficeMax.com (like Staples.Com, etc.) indicates they will ship purchases over $50.00 for free. I believe it is the responsibility of OfficeMax.com to live up to their claim and provide the service (free shipping) that they promised me. It is not my fault that the item I ordered is only available out-of-state and I should not be held to pay a $100 ransom for that item. Thank you for your quick resolution to this matter.

Sincerely,

Jeremy S. Kuether

I can be contacted via this email address or in person at:

5d366d31, 2009-10-27, 04:46PM CDT

Office Max has other issues as well. Here is one on False Advertising.

I had a coupon for $10.00 off at Office Depot. The closest Office Depot to us is about 2.5 hours away. I researched Office Max and they state they accept competitors coupons. I tried to use the coupon and was told they actually don't accept competitors coupons. So I wrote to customer service via their website.

This is what I wrote: This is regarding a coupon for $10.00 off a qualifying purchase of $30.00 or more. I took this Office Depot coupon to our local Office Max because your company states "We accept competitor coupons: Bring in another retailer's coupons, and we'll honor it*. Well, in Elko Nevada that is far from the case. I was told I could not use it there because it was not an Office Max coupon.

And this is what their rep, Chris Mobily OfficeMax Customer Service Direct/Dotcom/Retail Rep, had to say about my inquiry: "We do apologize, but OfficeMax does not match competitor's coupons. Please sign up for our MaxPerks loyalty program to receive future OfficeMax savings and coupons. To sign up for our program please visit http://www.officemaxperks.com".

Ironically, I am a member of the Max perks program and have been trying to get my points/credits straightened out for about 6 months now. That issue is for another post.

As of today, 10/27/09, their website still states:" We accept competitor coupons: Bring in another retailer's coupons, and we'll honor it*. *See your local OfficeMax store associate for details". This is from the Office Max website page addressing "Every Day Values" http://www.officemax.com/home/custom.jsp?id=m3230047