Posted on Monday, March 31st, 2003 at 12:00am CST by b3b688d0

Company: Seiko Kinetic Watches - sent for repair to Seiko's Mahwah, NJ facility - upset with repair quality

Complaints.com received the following on March 29, 2003:

From: Joe Palumbo [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23426#]

RE: Seiko Kinetic Watches - sent for repair to Seiko's Mahwah, NJ facility - upset with repair quality

I must sadly report that every Seiko kinetic watch that my wife and I owned has failed within 2 to 3 years. In November of 2000, both my wife’s and my kinetic watches were repaired by Seiko's Mahwah, N.J. facility. This was the first repair for my watch (model 5M43-0B19, S/N 6D8256), the second for my wife’s.

The repair work was so shoddy on my wife’s watch, which they had the nerve to send back to us in a non-working and damaged condition, that Seiko agreed to replace it with a new and similar one (model 3M62-OA30, S/N 000602). My wife wore the replacement watch briefly when it was received but as she said; it was not as nice as her original Seiko, it didn’t fit as well and she was soured by the entire experience. She stored her new Seiko kinetic in her jewelry box until recently when she decided to wear it again.

Or so she thought. This virtually new watch now won’t hold a charge of more than 5 minutes on the charge indicator, no matter how long you swing it or wear it. Unbelievable. I sent Seiko an Email regarding this and they said return the watch for repair. Yeah right. By the way, it is out of warranty. Based on the previous shoddy repair experience with the Seiko repair facility in Mahwah, N.J. I will not send the watch for repair. Even if the repair is for free, the reliability of any repairs and the quality of Seiko watches are no longer acceptable. As a senior citizen, I am frustrated with big name companies, that once had a reputation for quality, that have now become marketing organizations only to sell their shoddy products. Considering the cost of a Seiko timepiece, and that of a kinetic, one would expect many years of reliable service. My kid’s Timex watches have lasted longer. This family will no longer buy or trust in any Seiko products. Respectfully, Joe Palumbo Clarks Summit, Pa. 18411

45852b3a, 2007-12-24, 02:56PM CST

I too have had similar experience with the seiko repair facility. I spent 180 dollars getting two kinetic watches fixed there and both of them failed in less than a year. One of them even leaked water after I went swimming and it was a 100m rated sports watch. Lets face it. When you have a bunch of 6 dollar an hour employees repairing watches you shouldn't expect much. I would bet that there is not one qualified watch repair person in that entire facility. Thanks Seiko!

2301407a, 2008-05-18, 12:17AM CDT

Let me add my disappointment as well. Having sent my watch to the same facility, only to wait almost two months for its return, the watch worked for about 6 months before it stopped holding a charge. No sense sending it back for re-repair as they don't seem to know what they're doing. It's a nice watch, and is now sitting in my drawer. I would caution anyone against getting kinetic watch....you'll get two years out of it at most.c

25e055d5, 2008-07-10, 02:04AM CDT

I just got a SNA411 for 475$ dollars and it last me two weeks and I was just looking for a place to send it for repair. I think I'm stuck with a 475$ peace of junk.

c8ee74b4, 2008-07-23, 11:23AM CDT

I've had my Seiko Kintetic for over 10 years and just started having problems with it holding a charge. It is model #3M22-0899 and I feel that I got my money's worth out of it. I lead a very active lifestyle and it has never failed me until now.

However, with all of this talk about shoddy repairs I have no idea where I will send it, but I know it will not be to Mahwah, NJ.

ab674040, 2008-08-01, 02:56PM CDT

My sons bought a Kinetic watch for my husband since he was a seiko fan, as X'mas present and it was kept in the box for an year since he had another watch and then he started using, well, it is not working.I was abt to send it to Mahuah, now I may not.I don't think even my husband will buy another seiko.My seiko watches used to die,though my husbands lasted a few years. Now I have a movado, wear 24/7 and no problem.

a56d8669, 2008-09-10, 01:24AM CDT

My Seiko watch failed after 7 or 8 years. After that, it would work properly if swung it back and forth for a few moments morning and night. Now it doesn't work properly even if I do that, so it has failed in successive stages. After reading the above comments I will get another brand watch rather than waste money getting it repaired at Mahwah or anywhere else.

15ba6032, 2009-10-05, 03:37AM CDT

I bought a Seiko Kinetic and it was no longer able to hold charge after 2-3 years. I was extremely disappointed. The charge indicator is rarely more than 10 minutes no matter how much I wear it (I walk a lot everyday). This amount of movement should be more than enough to fully charge the capacitor.

After reading these reviews, I have decided not to get it repaired. I bought my wife a Citizen Eco-Drive about 6 years ago, and it's still running perfectly. After my experience with my Seiko Kinetic, I'm thinking I should have bought a men's Eco-Drive for myself!

554fac63, 2009-10-28, 08:19PM CDT

Hello. I have a Seiko kinetik, titanium watch with golden parts and crystal glass. The only thing wrong with the watch is that it doesn't work. I have tried to shake it and sleep in it, but they won't hold charge. It is sad, because this watch is just so pretty.