AOL - AOL - very upset about unwanted, unauthorized charges in Feb., 2003 - haven't had account since Summer, 2002

Posted on Saturday, March 22nd, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 5eead56e

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Today is Friday March 14, 2003 and my day has been taken up trying to get money back that was taken from my account in February. This might not seem odd however I have not had an account with AOL since the summer of 2002. I find it absolutely unbelievable that a company can conduct business this way and get by with it. If I took something from someone that didn't belong to me I would be arrested for robbery, which is what AOL is doing.

The first thing I was told was that I had authorized the quote "service" which I did not. Then when I had reached an agreement to have my account credited back with the $79.99 taken out, I was told that my account would only be credited for $73.32. I demanded a full repayment but was told that they could only credit my account with 73.32 but would mail me a check for $5.78.

I can't wait to see that check in the mail, if I ever do. If that is the norm and only a 1,000 people agreed to it that is $5,780 in AOL's back account. Robbery, I think so!

This is the third time this has happened. Last summer, before I closed my AOL account, I received an email that I would be receiving the 2003 desk calendar and if I didn't want the calendar to send and email back declining the offer, which I did. I was told I would not receive the calendar and would not be billed. Well, that worked out great. I not only received 1 calendar but 2 at different times and by the time I received the calendars my account had already been debited.

I tried to go through my bank and Visa to receive credit but the red tape wasn't worth the effort. Being "naive" I thought I'd just drop it, give the calendars to my children and call it quits "since I NO LONGER was a member of AOL." It seems like once AOL gets your name you can never and I mean never get rid of them. I am determined that AOL will never get another penny from me. I'll close my accounts, and change my name before I will sit back and be ripped off one more time.

I have talked to at least 5 people today at AOL just trying to get my name off their list (which is impossible because no one at AOL seems to know that a list exits) so this does not happen again and out of all those I spoke with they were either rude, acted dumb like I was talking a language they had never heard or passing me off to someone else because they didn't want to deal with me. A young man named Ryan in customer service was the only person who seemed to care about what was happening to me.

SO, IF ANYONE WITH AOL IS OUT THERE LISTENING, I WANT MY NAME OFF ALL YOUR LIST AND MY ACCOUNT IS NEVER TO BE DEBITED AGAIN FOR ANY REASON, DO YOU HEAR ME. Is that clear!!!

Jan

Birmingham, AL P.S. I am sending this to a witness that you have been informed so you can't say I never spoke up!