Posted on Monday, March 3rd, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 3b11e532

Company: 1999 Oldmobile Alero - GM 3.1/3.4 V6 Engine - lower intake gasket bad due to Dexcool

Complaints.com received the following on March 1, 2003:

From: cruzer768 [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23955#]

RE: 1999 Oldmobile Alero - GM 3.1/3.4 V6 Engine - lower intake gasket bad due to Dexcool

My name is Hector Cruz and I have a leased 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. Nice car, handles well. However this past November 2002 my Low Coolant light starts coming on. I don't see any coolant leaking anywhere on the engine or my driveway. So I decide to take it in to the dealership for OLF and to find/correct the problem. I have an extended warranty through the dealership (found out the hard way that it was a dealership not GM warranty) Key Oldsmobile dba Key Automotive dba Truck Outfitters in Columbus, OH. Well when I get there I find out that they have closed their doors after 36 years.

I was never notified. So I take it to a Pontiac dealer who tells me they service all GM cars. They tell me that I have a leaking lower intake gasket and that my warranty is no good through them. I end up finding out that Key Olds was self-insured and that NAC National Auto Care was just and administrator to do their paperwork and track all of their repairs on cars.

I get the car back w/no repairs because I feel that I should not have to pay for this. This is the reason I purchased the extended warranty for. I filed complaints with the BBB and the State Atty General which were of no help. I started researching on the internet and find out that the lower intake gasket (made of some kind of plastic) is a faulty GM design and do not want to do a recall.

On top of that the Dexcool antifreeze seems to be a factor causing this lower intake gasket to go bad. This problem is happening to all GM 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines, based on my understanding. I will no longer lease/purchase a GM car. Following are websites you can go to for filing complaints and make your voice be heard. GM seems to know about this problem and they need to be accountable.

Good Luck!