Posted on Friday, March 14th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by cb2ee416

Company: kennia's gormet emporium - purchase made via Ebay.com - not notified of additional shipping charge - received unexpected bill from UPS

Complaints.com received the following on March 12, 2003:

From: JD & Beth Penington [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23739#]

RE: kennia's gormet emporium - purchase made via Ebay.com - not notified of additional shipping charge - received unexpected bill from UPS

In Janurary, 2003 I purchased an electric slicer from this company through Ebay. The auction clearly stated that "$39.95" will ship this item anywhere in the United States.

After being notified that I had won the auction, I waited a few days for a total and when notified, immediately paid the winning bid price plus shipping through Paypal. The payment was accepted and cleared my bank the next day.

I eventually received the package - it took a little longer than I had planned for but otherwise was OK. The surprise came over a month later when I received a bill from UPS for duties on the package. I had never purchased anything from outside the United States and didn't realize that duties would be handled by a third party.

When I contact UPS about the charges, I told the representative about the auction and that the seller never informed me there would be additional charges. Her reply was "they usually don't." I then e-mailed Kennia's Gormet Emporium to ask them about this. My opinion is that they should at least inform their buyers of the additional charges, in case it brings the total to more than you want to pay. After several days of no reply, I finally posted negative feedback on Ebay in order to let others know of this problem. If you review their feedback, you will find they have had this problem before.

Now for the killer. They in turn posted negative feedback about me claiming that I tried to scam my way out of paying my bills! Of course, if you review the rest of my feedback, it becomes obvious that I am a wonderful buyer and seller.