AOL - AOL - got 6 months free with purchase of new Dell Computer - then experienced unfair billing tactics

Posted on Wednesday, March 12th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by b3e50e27

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Hello..About 7 or 8 months ago we bought a Dell computer. The Dell computer included 6 free months of AOL.

I signed up for AOL even though I didn't need it, I thought I would give it a try because it was free.

I signed up for AOL with my credit card.. About 5 months ago (in September), I closed out my savings, checking, and Credit Card with the bank that issued the credit card that I authorized the AOL payments.

I forgot that I used this card to authorize AOL payments. The first AOL payment was due in January, the charge was initially rejected BUT AOL somehow pushed the charges with my financial institution. My credit card account got reopened. (This was the story given to me by credit card customer service.) I thought the laws in this country were.. "If you close an account, you are no longer responsible for any charges on the account.. I guess my thoughts were wrong." I need a minimum of $25.00 into a savings account in order to have a credit card from the credit union that issued my card. I no longer meet any of the requirements to have a credit card account from that financial institution. AOL never informed me of any problems with billing. Had they informed me, I would have gave them other billing options rather than reopen a closed credit card account. I lost my dispute with the credit card company.. Even AFTER I closed my AOL account several weeks ago, another monthly charge was added to the bill. This happened after I informed the credit card company in writing to please insure me the account is closed and no

more charges are posted to my account. I feel AOL used unfair antics against me. I admit I owe AOL for 1 month of service. BUT, I refuse to pay them using this billing method. If anyone is in the process of working on a Class Action lawsuit against AOL, please let me know.