1998 VW New Beetle - many problems, despite treating car very well

Company: 1998 VW New Beetle - many problems, despite treating car very well

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on March 8, 2002:

From: Rebecca Blair [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23270#]

1998 VW New Beetle - many problems, despite treating car very well

I own a 1998 VW New Beetle. I treat it very well - I just cannot believe the problems we have had:

- hood lifter came off in my hand

- BOTH the passenger and the driver windows have fallen out

- the glove box door fell off

- we have replaced the fuel door cable TWICE

- we have replaced FIVE headlights

- we had the keys to the car stolen, and since we could not find the spare, we had to have the car towed 90 miles to have the car rekeyed. The Volkswagon plant was closed for a week, so we waited to get new keys. The code for the key was not located (not Volkswagon's fault, they claim).

We paid $1700 to have the car rekeyed. The dealer broke the lock while they were drilling it, and now the dealer wants me to pay for a new glove box - which I have already replaced once.

Now remember that each time we have anything done, it is a three hour road trip. This morning, my car would not start.

Until I actually wrote all this out, I really thought my husband was unfair to suggest we get rid of this car. We bought it with 25000 km on it, and it now has 92000. All of this has happened in under three years. Volkswagon Canada - for some unknown reason located in Detroit - thinks I am having dealer problems, not a product problem.

They have suggested that I go to another dealer. Well the next dealer is over the Rockies - if I get the car up high, I may be tempted to send it over the edge!!