1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - many troubles, repairs with windows, window motors

Posted on Thursday, March 7th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by f076a887

Company: 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - many troubles, repairs with windows, window motors

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on March 5, 2002:

From: Karen Fragala (GWB) [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23315#]

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - many troubles, repairs with windows, window motors

Driver's side window stuck in the down position in November, 1999. Was still under warranty, dealer replaced motor for window. In December, 2001, driver's side window stuck in down position again. Not under warranty, had window switch replaced (cost, $120.00). In February, 2002, passenger side window stuck in up position, will not open. This time I call Pontiac Consumer Complaint dept. who contacted the dealer. Claims dealer looks at it, they will see what cost assistance they can give me.

Was out of work sick for a few days and before I had a chance to call the dealer to make an appointment, the driver's side window had broke again. Fortunately, the window was only down about 2 inches, but by the time I returned from the bank during my lunch break, the window fell all the way down. Called Pontiac asking them if they would recall this defective product. They replied, "no". and said the same thing, they will give me cost assistance. Brought my car to the dealer yesterday.

They claim that the cable mechanism (window regulator) for the driver's side window needed to be replaced and would cost approximately $562.00 to fix. They also claimed they could not repeat the problem with the passenger's side window that was stuck. I told them I would not pay for a defective product and that Pontiac should incur the cost. They said absolutely not and would not give me cost assistance as promised. I told them I was coming by to pick up my car and the manager told me to bring my check book as I now owed them $85.00 for looking at the window. They would not release my car unless I paid $85.00. I am now driving around with the window wide open in 20 degree weather with two small children, and, of course, we all sick now. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and every other agency I come across. I will not stop until this is resolved. By the way, three other people that I know who own a Pontiac also experience broken driver's side windows. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!

a9be3a6c, 2008-11-28, 03:02PM CST

Well I had the same problem with my 98 grandprix gtp, great car, amazing driving experience, I love the thing and will only get rid of it to buy a new one. The window problem is easy, its a little clip that breaks, something very small, anyone with any kind of mechanical experience should be able to fix this just by taking of the regulator and attaching the wire back on, I did mine by attaching it with a little piece of wire to an existing hole. I already did it on both windows and all it cost me was a few bucks for some clips that hold the door panel in place, easy fix for a little problem that dealers blow way out of proportion, although a problem, not anything significant that in any way made me think of getting rid of the car, the speeding tickets on the other hand, well that's a different story.

86b82bee, 2010-02-05, 06:53PM CST

Sounds like your being a little ridiculous. Cars break they are not perfect machines and they are designed by people. I'm not sure why you expect someone else to fix something you bought FOR FREE. Recalls are for problems that may cause injury/harm or otherwise unsafe driving conditions such as the leaky head gasket in 97 grand prixs. Pay for it yourself and stop trying to suck corporations for money.

6b5d489d, 2010-03-22, 02:21PM CDT

Window Regulators are a big issue with Grand Prix. I had my third one go out just today. $562 is too expensive. Buy the part online and 75.00 and get any auto shop to install for around $75.00. Recalls may be for issues that can cause injury. That said, I would not expect the same issue 3 times with the same parts.

4096ddb9, 2011-04-04, 12:35PM CDT

I have two grand prixs and both of them have window problems. One is a 90 and one a 99 so they have been used alot. My co-workers step-daughter has one and both windows are stuck in the up position.

eac02f1e, 2012-01-31, 08:46AM CST

my girl friend has a 98 pontiac grand prix and has had nothing but trouble with the windows. the driverside door window had to have the motor replaced. the passenger side needs a new regulator and is stuck in the up position. both rear door windows are held up with shims because they wont stay up. we will never buy another car with power windows again. and as for this not being a safety hazard. have you ever tried to drive in a rain storm with the front windows down. not recomended.