2000 Chevrolet Blazer - Faulty Brake Light Switch

Company: 2000 Chevrolet Blazer - Faulty Brake Light Switch

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on March 30, 2002:

From: Krys and Tim Smith [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_12472#]

2000 Chevrolet Blazer - Faulty Brake Light Switch

In June 2000, we purchased a new 2000 Chevrolet Blazer, in North Carolina. We had assumed that by purchasing a new vehicle, we would not have any problems, at least not in the first few years.

In January, 2001 we moved to South Carolina. In February, 2001, my wife was pulled over and informed that both lower tail/brake lights were out. Since we were within warranty, we took the vehicle to Parks Chevrolet, in Beaufort. They were kind and not only repaired the vehicle, they also obtained a virtually free rental car for our use until the next day when we could pick up our Blazer.

During 2000 and 2001, we traveled quite a bit, since I am in the military and my father was ill with cancer.

In March 2002, my wife was pulled over again and informed that the brake lights were once again NOT working. The police officer was kind enough to point out that he had cited three other Blazers during that week, for the same exact problem. He further suggested that my wife look into a possible recall.

Once at home, my wife looked on the internet for recalls. Imagine our surprise when not only did she find it listed on some of the most popular car sites but also the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) web site.

Each of the web sites instructed the consumer to contact the toll free Chevrolet number and if the vehicle was not repaired, in a reasonable time frame, at no cost, to contact the NHTSA.

My wife called the toll free number at Chevrolet. She was informed that the problem with the switch was a "pending" recall and that niether Chevrolet or General Motors would acknowledge that such a problem existed. She was further explained that since our milage was above warranty levels (remember: active duty, ill father, funeral travel), we would have to absorb the cost of the repair and that since the switch had not yet been re-engineered, it was going to fail again, at some future date.

This did not sit well with us, so we contacted the NHTSA via their toll free number, we were told that the government had no right to force a manufacturer into a recall, no matter the safety issue at hand. We filed a report with them any way, hoping that it would help our situation.

In the end, my wife was out a day of work since our vehicle was not road ready and had to be repaired, so we lost not only her pay for the day but nearly $300 for repairs of a part that are going to fail again (as quoted by the Chevrolet customer service agency). We have contacted our insurance company, the NHTSA, an attorney, as well as two local television news stations that highlight consumer problems.

We have repeatedly contacted Chevrolet via the toll free number, e-mail, and by certified mail (delivery has been confirmed). Nothing has been received back from Chevrolet.

We want this rectified now . . . we want our $300 back!!! The brake light switch is not USUALLY a consumable part on a vehicle, apparently neither Chevrolet nor General Motors agrees!!!

08824b57, 2010-03-08, 07:58PM CST

Chevrolet and General Motors are the same company. Chevrolet is a division of GM.