Posted on Sunday, March 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 7380cfbc

Company: Walk Away The Pounds - ordered from infomercial - unauthorized $ 31.85 monthly charge

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on March 22, 2002:

From: Jack Fox [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23023#]

Last summer (01) our 21-year-old daughter sent away for some exercise equipment and weight loss ideas from an infomercial she saw on tv, Walk Away The Pounds. She was put on a mailing list of pills (that she never asked for) and billed a monthly charge of $31.85 to her Capital One Visa Card. Every month she called and every month she was told her card would be refunded.

It never was. She (being stupid and young) kept paying the charges so her credit would be ruined. She never told us. She never called Capital One to dispute the charges. In December, she called Walk Away (again) and told them she was leaving the country and closing her VISA account. She called Capital One and told them she was closing her account.

And in January, she left for Brazil for a year and a half. In March, we received a bill from Capital One with two $31.85 charges on 2-19 from Walk Away. My husband called Walk Away and was told they would credit her account by 3-22. They haven't. I called Capital One and complained that they should have called here (my daughter's home, and the number listed on her account) to report suspicious activity on an account that was supposed to be closed.

They said that they LEGALLY couldn't even acknowledge that my daughter HAD an account. SInce my name wasn't listed. So, WE ARE NOT GOING TO PAY these charges. What can I do? Just let these $31.85 monthly charges and interest add up until she comes home in 2003?

Walk Away the Pounds is a slimey, dishonest outfit that preys on people desparate to lose weight. I wish there was something I could do to get some satisfaction. But, I can't even get them to stop charging my daughter's account.